The Forgotten War

The Forgotten War

A war with millions affected, and no one talking about it.

406
The Forgotten War
Alwaght News & Analysis

Many events often get ignored in the constant stream of news about tweets, trade, and all sorts of troubles, yet many of these events include stories of acts of barbarity that should not be ignored by the general public. One of these stories is of the situation in Yemen.

As we sit in our homes in a safe, developed country, millions of people in the Middle Eastern country of Yemen have to hid in their basements in anticipation of air strikes, or have to scavenge the streets of their ruined cities searching for food. Meanwhile they mourn the loss of friends and family who have perished in the 3 year long civil war that is destroying the country.

The war is between two factions: the Houthi forces who control the western part of the country, including the capital, and forces loyal to the previous government controlling most of the remaining parts of the country, with terrorist groups such as ISIS having influence as well. The war has also turned into a battleground between rivals Saudi Arabia and Iran, with Iran supporting the Houthis and the Saudis supporting the government forces. This had led to a massive number of weapons being sent into the Yemen, only worsening the situation.

The war has lead to one of the world’s largest humanitarian crisis, with, according to CNN, over 8 million people not knowing when their next meal is coming and a vast majority of the country’s 22 million people needing some form of aid.

This war has no end in sight yet, especially with the media blackout on it, and until the situation is brought to light and two regional powers stop using it as a personal battlefield, millions of innocent people will continue to suffer.