The Forgotten Traits Of Adult ADHD

The Forgotten Traits Of Adult ADHD

And why it's so important to keep talking about them

219
The Forgotten Traits Of Adult ADHD

Part of living with a mental illness is being unable to remember all the symptoms and traits that can occur. Sometimes it's not being able to recognize these traits and symptoms. Recently, I have been feeling like trash over behaviors I couldn't quite identify. I knew they weren't self-destructive, at least not intentionally, but these actions kept me from being productive in the simplest ways, yet I couldn't care enough to just do them. Or I cared too much about being counter-productive. Not that this made me motivated to get the things done that needed to be done last week. One term that had completely left my brain was "executive dysfunction" and it's one of the most important traits of adult ADHD/ADD that rarely gets talked about.

Executive functioning skills help you get things done. These skills are controlled by an area of the brain called the frontal lobe.

Executive function helps you:

• Manage time
  • Pay attention
  • Switch focus
  • Plan and organize
  • Remember details
  • Avoid saying or doing the wrong thing
  • Do things based on your experience
  • Multitask

When executive function isn't working as it should, aka executive dysfunction, your behavior is less controlled. This can affect your ability to:

• Work or go to school
  • Do things independently
  • Maintain relationships
This came up in my Pinterest feed a few days ago, and ever since I have felt significantly less guilty and stressed about being a lazy piece of shit

Executive dysfunction i.pinimg.com

Because in reality, I'm not purposely doing all the things except for the one thing I need to be doing. My brain is just doing what is does best when my ADHD is in high drive. It won't last forever, but it's going to happen, so the best thing I can do is allow it to run its course. In the meantime, I will pin every pin that allows me to accept this so that I can share these traits with others. Or even remind myself down the road when I forget about the time all I had to do was fold the laundry and I.Just.Couldn't.

ADHD in Adults Pinterest

Adult ADHDPinterest

Executive Dysfunction Pinterest

Hacks for executive dysfunction Pinterest

Living with Adult ADHDPinterest

ADHD moods in adults Pinterest

Adult ADHDPinterest