The Dangers Of Becoming Consumed

The Dangers Of Becoming Consumed

There are things in life that are worth our consumption, and there are things that aren't

20
The Dangers Of Becoming Consumed

There are things in life that are worth our consumption. (and I am not talking about food) We so easily get consumed by the things around us, we get caught up in the school work, excuse me, the mounds of schoolwork. We get caught up in relationships, or wanting one for that matter, we get caught up in all of the material things stacked high around us, shiny and tempting, but wholly insignificant when we strip away the paint. We get caught up with the way others see us, or our perception of how we are seen or thought of by others.

Getting caught up is one thing, but more often than not we get consumed by it. We fall down the rabbit hole to a point of no return because we can no longer just look in the mirror and be happy with what we see, instead we see what we fear that cute boy at the frat party will think or fear that our clothes aren’t name brand or that we don’t look like the girl on the cover of the magazine.

Consumption is dangerous and disheartening especially when acknowledged, when you can turn to your left and see the people you love getting caught up in it. And though we can blame ourselves for this fault we can also blame the world we have grown up in. We can almost take the blame away from ourselves because it seems near impossible to grow up in a world that screams these things at you, a world that makes you think that your value lies in the thoughts, words, and opinions of others. It is hard not to be susceptible to the tricks of this world, especially in college when we face times of growth, doubt, and change and we look to know ourselves but find that we aren’t confident of anything, aren’t confident in who we are or in knowing who we should be, should become. So we fall into placing things of unimportance on a pedestal and value materials, worldly things, instead of valuing yourself and the relationships around you. But, there are things in life that are worth our consumption.

Because there is faith, there are friends, relationships, serving others, and there is even the simplest of things of which is joy. To be consumed by joy breaks cracks in any mirror that tells you you are not good enough as you are. You can choose to not be consumed by things of insignificance and rather fill yourself with joy, you can laugh at mirrors that warp the way you see yourself and bend them back because they belong in a funhouse, because there are things in life that are worth our consumption, and those aren’t it.