New midwestern band

The Clean Tramps Is The Best New Midwestern Band That You’ve Never Heard Of

The Clean Tramps are an up-and-coming band from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

532
Julide Sengil

When one thinks of the "music scene," they might generally think of Los Angeles, New York or even New Orleans. What they don't usually think of is the midwest, and definitely not Minnesota. But over the past few years, the home of Prince has become a popular location for up-and-coming artists. A few surprising acts that originated in the Twin Cities include Hippocampus, Allan Kingdom, DJ Sidereal and, believe it or not, Owl City.

But I'd like to introduce you to The Clean Tramps. They are a 4-piece band from Minneapolis, MN that has been producing a power pop-garage rock sound since summer of 2017. The Tramps, as they are affectionately known by fans, is "composed" of Charles (Charlie) Sosa on lead vocals and guitar, Jack Sandvik playing lead guitar, James (Jim) Kiser on bass and Gunnar Lindquist on drums.

So far the Tramps have made a name for themselves throughout the Twin Cities music scene playing at local venues such as Honey Minneapolis, Caydence Records & Coffee, and the Temple. But any new musical venture doesn't come without its setbacks. Earlier this year the Tramps parted ways with their former drummer Brian McKee. But they quickly regrouped and were happy to welcome Gunnar Lindquist into the mix. Even though the Tramps have been around for only one year, they have already pulled the impressive feat of performing at one of Minnesota's most famous venues: 7th Street Entry at First Avenue, at just 18/19 years old.

A Clean Tramps concert is one that you definitely won't want to miss. Their unique sound brings a nostalgia-charged vibe to the room, and you can't help but dance along to their energetic lyrics. Each show gathers young and old rock-lovers alike and will remind you of what it feels like to be young, dumb and the life of the party.

Regarding their sound, The Clean Tramps have cited several musical inspirations, including The Smiths, The Replacements, The Killers and Television. You can hear a musical nod to these great artists throughout the Tramps' discography. But these guys are anything but derivative. Each song is a unique journey that takes listeners through the thought process of lead singer Charlie Sosa. Sosa writes the original lyrics for each Clean Tramps song, which has helped make them one of the best new groups in the Twin Cities that you haven't heard of (yet).

But don't just take my word for it. You can check out the band at their website www.thecleantramps.bandcamp.com and on Instagram and Twitter @thecleantramps to stay updated for future shows, tours, and band merchandise.