"The Circle" On Netflix Is The Newest Game Show For Millennials

The perfect mixture between "Big Brother" and "Catfish."

13

I started watching CBS's "Big Brother" game show when I was 12-years old and I've watched it every season since. It was always on three nights a week, which gave me something to watch over summer. During the winter/spring months, I have less time to relax, but no reality/game shows to keep me occupied when I do. At the start of the New Year, Netflix released a new series that would be uploaded weekly called "The Circle." I was intrigued from the second I saw the trailer.

It's basically "Big Brother" and "Catfish" morphed into one three-week event. A group of players each have their own apartments in a building, however, they can never meet the other players. The only form of interaction the players have with each other is a screen called "The Circle," hence the title. The entire game is based on social media profiles, instant messaging, and games. They are able to keep the show interesting by introducing new players, as old ones are eliminated. Players get eliminated by the influencers- who are nominated by rankings. Of course, the players can use whatever pictures they want... so everything isn't all what it seems. It's a pretty cool concept, huh?

It also brings up a sad, sad truth of the world. People are being judged simply by how their profile pictures look and how they communicate over a text message. Although the show is entertaining, it proves that social media doesn't represent everyone the way they think it does. When people in the show felt the need to use other people's photos for better rankings in the game, it made me concerned over whether social media is really beneficial at all.

Of course, I will continue to finish the show and I think you should check it out, too. However, I think we all need to be a little more mindful of what we're posting, and how social media isn't a tell-all. It shouldn't represent any form of "status," but instead, it should be a form of self-expression that people can actually enjoy.