Why The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Deserves Attention

Add 'The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina' To Your Watchlist Right Now

The new take on the Archie Comics of Sabrina's life highlights a reboot done right, regardless of the vast differences between it and its predecessor, "Sabrina the Teenage Witch."

69

Netflix has done it again! "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" is a fresh take on the old sitcom comedy people my age grew up on. It had me so bewitched (see what I did there?) that I binge-watched the entire first season (10 episodes total) in one night. If you're looking for a fun, light-hearted comedy with cute juggling of school and witch life like "Sabrina the Teenage Witch", you might want to sit this series out. The show goes into a darker, almost horror-like approach with Sabrina that I could never have imagined from watching the past show, but it completely works!

"The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" focuses a lot more on the dynamics of witches, their folklore, the "Dark Lord" (aka Satan), and what's involved with actually being a witch. It's arguably more realistic in how witches are more cruelly depicted in older media: as cannibals, pure evil, tricksters, powerful, etc. This show has no issue with blood, gore, sex, or murder, so be prepared to see plenty of that play out throughout the first season and the ones to come.

This mixes some teen angst with a coming-of-age story of a character that needs to find her identity and figure out which world is more important to hers: the mortal world or the world of witches. You can even be ready to be scared a couple of times in some intense scenes that have you writhing with adrenaline. When I say that this new spin-off on a classic, widely known series and character is so genuine and intriguing, I mean it.

What I appreciate about Netflix's approach on the Archie Comics version of this show is that they are not afraid to depict the show as a representation of current times through including a (what seems to be) potential transgender character, a pansexual cousin warlock, irregular but functional family structures, and more. The majority of the characters are likable, and if Sabrina rubs you the wrong way, then the actress is doing her job right.

The entirety of season one focuses on establishing Sabrina as a growing witch and woman, trying to make the best decisions, but failing to do so, and causing the audience watching to cringe at her horrible decision-making. It's all about the journey and that's exactly what we go on.

I can't say much without spoiling the season but let me just say that the ending of season one was so bittersweet satisfying that I know I'll have to come back for more. Netflix seems to have cast a spell on me, and I don't care. There is no doubt in my mind that this show will mesmerize us again when season 2 comes out, but in the meantime, make sure to watch the first season on Netflix!