The Bitter Girl's Guide To Valentine's Day

I'm not bitter, I swear.

23

If you're single, odds are the month of February brings a somewhat bitter taste to your mouth. Sure, there's nothing wrong with being single, but there's something about having everyone else's love rubbed in your face that can leave you feeling a little sore and reminiscent on all your past loves. So ladies, here are the do's and don'ts for this Valentine's Day, for all us bitter people out there.

Do: Treat yourself!

Go to the mall and have a little shopping spree, because it has been medically proven that retail therapy can fix literally anything—no, seriously.

Don't: Hang out in the Valentine's Day aisle and cry.

No one wants to see you cry over the teddy bears and chocolate that you won't be receiving, and trust me, you don't want to do that to yourself.

Do: Let your friends in a relationship enjoy their day!

You are a wonderful, supportive friend and you are happy for them!

Don't: Constantly remind them of how bitter you are.

It's okay to do with your fellow single friends, but don't make them feel bad for you because they're happy!

Do: Listen to music.

Throw on some Beyoncé or Nicki, or anything upbeat and empowering really. "Ridin' Solo" by Jason Derulo never gets old, let's be honest. It seems silly, but it really will put you in a better mood!

Don't: Listen to SAD music.

Turn off the Taylor Swift, don't put on Ed Sheeran, and for the love of God, step away from Adele!

Do: Text your friends and make plans!

Nothing takes your mind off of being alone on Valentine's Day like not being alone on Valentine's Day—go have fun with your friends!

Don't: Text your exes.

Just, don't. This is never a good idea, especially on Valentine's Day. Nothing good is going to come from it and you're going to feel crappy.

Do: Have a fun girl's night out.

Go to the movies, go out for dinner, do something fun with your girl's by your side.

Don't: Go out and mope the whole time.

The idea of going out is to make yourself feel better, so if ice cream will help, let it, but don't stay in your funk all night.

Do: Hit the club.

A night of dancing and fun with your girls by your side will be a sure fix to your Valentine's Day sadness. Plus, nothing feels better than slaying it with your squad.

Don't: Stay in alone.

You're just going to end up sad and lonely and wishing you had gone out, so get out there, girl.

Do: Embrace your singleness.

You are a fabulous, independent woman and you don't need a man to define you.

Don't: Feel sad about it.

As I said above, you're amazing whether you're single or not, there is nothing to be sad about. You will find someone to make you happy when you least expect it.

So Happy Valentine's Day to those in relationships and to those not in relationships. You're not alone with your bitterness, and this lovey-dovey day doesn't have to be as bad as you think. Have fun with your friends and don't dwell on your ex(es).

And if you really can't make it through this day positively, just remember that all the Valentine's candy will be 50 percent off afterwards!