The Big Apple Brought The Big Picture

The Big Apple Brought The Big Picture

Learning to expect the unexpected.

202
The Big Apple Brought The Big Picture
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/16/6365683796992380561799640750_maxresdefault.jpg

I'm what most would describe as a typical college student. I love my coffee. I love my naps. I am learning about something I am passionate about. And so on. What makes me atypical are the places I go on Spring Break. Last year I went to South Dakota. This year I am in New York City.

Trust me when I say, it truly is the city that never sleeps. Not only is this not your typical Spring Break trip. It isn't what I expected at all. I have spent seven nights on an air mattress. I have been to some of the most broken places in this city, but yet, I am so happy.

I didn't realize that this trip would end up being exactly what I needed. God has been there for me time and time again and often I have just ignored the urges that I felt. I thought as though I was simply being led to do something because it is what was expected of me, or what I thought I wanted.

Something changed in me this week. I lay here on my air mattress writing this article while everyone else around me is napping or resting and I just thought it was the perfect time to get these words out.

I feel so emotionally vulnerable. I have never been so emotionally exposed. Seeing broken people and not really understanding how their life brought them to those places, but understanding how I must look to them.

I have had a really hard year. I have been hurt by people I thought would love me forever and people I wanted to keep in my life that I had to let go.

I did not expect to feel this way in NYC. But as I said earlier. God knew what he was doing when he sent me here.