The Best Online Tools For Writers

The Best Online Tools For Writers

Do you need some editing help or wish you could cite that resource easier?

63
The Best Online Tools For Writers
clipartkid.com

As a writer who is both writing for school and online articles, I have learned that there are some really interesting and amazing tools out there to help us along in the process of writing. Below are the ones I use most often in the order I would typically need them while writing.

Firstly, I would need to determine if research was necessary. Sometimes my articles require a bit of background information. If I am writing a paper for classes, I definitely need sources, properly cited. So my first writing tool is a website to help you properly cite your sources. It is called KnightCite and is run by calvin.edu This website does not do things automatically like some others out there, but I like that because then I know the information is correct and exactly as I input in. On the left side you can choose between MLA, APA, and Chicago styles. Then you choose from the categories which form of citation you need. Fill it in and click submit. The site will give you the properly formatted citation to copy and paste into your bibliography page.

http://www.calvin.edu/library/knightcite/index.php

Secondly, I will usually save any articles, link, or important tidbits of research somewhere that it can be easily accessed. I use both Evernote and Pocket for this purpose. Honestly, neither one is exactly what I wish it could be, but Evernote comes close. I save anything I think I made need in a folder within Evernote labelled with the title or topic of what I am writing about. I use Pocket as a backup, I am not fond of its interface and only use it when I have to. It is mainly where I save other things that don't deal with my writing. If someone has another alternative to these two better for writers/ researchers, I would love to hear about it.

https://evernote.com/

https://getpocket.com/

Thirdly, I would need to begin writing. To have a simple, distraction free area to write in, I prefer the "Writer" from BigHugeLabs. This is the coolest, easiest writing platform to use. It is kind of like an online typewriter for your device. It can link to both Google or Yahoo for quick saving of your work. It also auto-saves as you type. Ironically enough, I am using it to type this article today. The website is free, but you can upgrade to a premium account for a small fee and obtain even more features. I have honestly never felt the need to do this, the free version is adequate.

https://writer.bighugelabs.com/

Fourthly, I would then take my written work and copy it into the editor software at ProWritingAid. For a free account, you can edit up to 500 words, but the paid plans are actually really inexpensive. A lifetime membership with unlimited word editing is only $140.00. What I love about the free version is that I can edit pieces of the article or paper at a time and work in chunks, usually I go paragraph by paragraph. The software will tell me if I have any of the following issues: Overused Words, Writing Style, Sentence Length, Cliches & Redundancies, Grammar, Sticky Sentences, Dialogue, Repeat Words & Phrases, Paragraph Length, Corporate Wording, Diction, Vague & Abstract Words, Pacing, Homonyms, Complex Words, Transitions, NLP Predicates, Eloquence, House Styles, Consistency, Alliteration, Combos, and Thesaurus.

http://prowritingaid.com/en/Analysis/Editor

Lastly, I read through the paper or article checking for any mistakes the software may have missed. I check to make sure things flow together correctly and it sounds good. Some people say the best way to make sure something reads correctly is to read it out loud. This is a great idea and I use it frequently. This final step is essentially making sure the paper or article is presentable before being submitted to wherever it needs to go.

I think the mark of a good writer is not in what they write, but how they do it. Everyone has a different process for accomplishing goals and writing is just another goal to be accomplished.