To The Best Friend, I've Always Treasured

Every friendship has its stories

61
Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

My Dearest Friend,

The years have been bittersweet, haven't they? It's to be expected of course; life is both a figurative and literal rollercoaster, yet since I've met you and we became close friends I've realized how manageable my life has been compared to yours, and the real person lying beneath the facade. Take a step back with me and think of your previous reflection: a fragile, yet outgoing soul with always something holding you back and away from your potential. Even your perspective of what life seemed to be during these critical moments in time was hopeful but still managed to take a turn for the worse--society pumped so much negativity you didn't know where to turn. I believe the world brings us to people and situations to test us in all facets of creation. You were part of my life's journey as I am of yours; but have you ever stopped to think of that fateful day our Freshman year of college would be the catalyst that saw us seeing and experiencing so much in such an animated manner?

No one could've predicted any of it. I look at you now and see the person the empath in me always visualized underneath the depths of viscous chaos and tried to help you realize it all my way instead of yours. Life is funny how it teaches you a lesson, for you, that everpresent ray of sunshine that lights up any room was to learn it all living Hell on Earth. Our relationship is so pure and honest that if an outsider heard us talking about what happened so nonchalantly, they might find it offputting that all that has occurred leading from the moment we formed an affinity up to the semester you up and disappeared for months on end a blessing; personally, which, you know yourself as well, that was the best and the worst portion of your life. Within this point of your story, you've realized that your health and how you perceived yourself was far more important than anything a mirror or another individual could say, yet this far in the game where that little Freshman was now a strong-willed Junior met a potential love-interest everything attained went crashing down. And he took you away from not only those who cared for you, but most importantly, he stripped your identity.

I mention this rollercoaster not to rip open old wounds but to help you realize how far you've come: from evading the slithering predator that once clutched your body and feelings, or how an unstable view of mental health, personal dilemmas, or even the injustice of losing a job mixed to make a delicious soup of misery. After all of this, after each and every hurdle was surpassed you flew higher into God's embrace; where most of your solace is found and just know that He has a plan for you to make your life your life.

Furthermore, I'm so very glad that we've entered each other's lives when we did. A true friend is a part of your family without sharing blood, support when you lose your footing; even a shoulder to cry on when life seems to be ending. Through this on-going journey we set forth on together we've both realized who the elite in our lives are and both of our names are on that list.

P.S.

I hope these words are read with love and understanding. I hope that no one would ever have to experience some of the events you have; namely finding themselves in an abusive relationship or feeling so down that they feel life is a nutshell of misery. Let's pray that we, as a society start talking more; you should know. You've experienced everything!

Sincerely,

Mario Castelli