The ESSENTIAL Boy Band Playlist

In Honor Of The Jonas Brothers Returning, I've Created The ESSENTIAL Boy Band Playlist

Featuring all your favorite boy bands, including One Direction, Big Time Rush, Backstreet Boys, and of course, the Jonas Brothers (and MORE!), including a link to the playlist itself.

161

Unless you've been living under a rock or just haven't turned on technology at all in the past few weeks, then you know that the Jonas Brothers are back in action! From their new song "Sucker" (and it's rockin' music video) to their no-holds-barred Carpool Karaoke with James Corden, the Jonas Brothers are back in the public spotlight and bigger than ever.

In honor of their return, and the nostalgic feelings it brings up of being younger and dancing in our rooms to "Burning Up," I've created (with the help of my boy-band expert friends) the essential playlist for anyone who is ready to regain the days of boy band posters and using the hairbrush as a microphone (and fantasizing about being Mrs./Mr. Jonas).

(Yes I made the actual playlist, see end of the article for Spotify link)

1. "Sucker" by the Jonas Brothers

Of course, the newest Jonas Brothers song must be at the top of the list. The original JB is back, with a pop song that hearkens back to their love pop roots but introduces a more sophisticated beat their old fans may not be used to.

Link

2. "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys

A classic for a reason. The Backstreet Boys debuted with their first album in 1997, and since then have exploded onto the boy band scene, with decades of tours and bestselling albums folllowing that initial release. Probably the most well-known BSB song, "I Want it That Way" is essential for anyone wanting to capture the beats of old boy band days.

Link

3. "What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction

If you don't know this song, you have definitely never turned on the radio since 2011. One Direction, the band that ushered in a whole new boy band scene, started their "reign" with this extremely catchy, extremely fun, pop song. And they only continued to grow.

Link

4. "Little Things" by One Direction

A sweet song that is full of calm words of love, instead of One Direction's usual dance beats. Every playlist needs a song like this to slow it down and remind you why you listen to these boys in the first place.

Link

5. "Big Time Rush" by Big Time Rush

"Oh oh oh, ohhh..." One of the most familiar openings of any boy band song, Big Time Rush got it's start on the 2009 Nickelodeon TV show of the same title, and quickly became a staple of the boy band drama. And fans are crossing their fingers for them to follow in the footsteps of the Jonas Brothers and reunite.

Link

6. "Burnin' Up" by the Jonas Brothers

The Jonas Brothers at their finest! "Burnin' Up" is probably the most popular song of the group (at least it was until their newest single) and is just one of their many superb contributions to the boy band genre.

Link

7. "Bye Bye Bye" by *NSYNC

You can't forget about the iconic boy band *NSYNC in any boy band playlist, and the best song to start with is their extremely popular "Bye Bye Bye" that will get everyone out of their seats and dancing in no time.

Link

8. "Lovebug" by the Jonas Brothers

"I'm so excited to play this live again," were Nick's exact words when this song came on during their recent Carpool Karaoke with James Corden. And Nick, we can't wait to see it live again.

Link

9. "She Looks So Perfect" by 5 Seconds of Summer

5 Seconds of Summer, or 5SOS (pronounced "five-sauce") as they're more commonly known, is an Australian boy band that got it's fame by being on more of the rock side of pop music, something a little different than other boy bands of the time. While they are still making music today (check out their new "Youngblood" album), they're old music, like this song, is still rocks.

Link

10. "DNA" by BTS

With a video that breaks a 600 million view world record, the Korean pop group BTS began really exploding in America with their song "DNA", and there's good reason for it. With an earworm for a hook and the poppy beat that Americans gravitate towards, this band is set to became the next sensation (and in some ways, they already have).

Link

11. "Year 3000" by the Jonas Brothers

I mean this one is just fun. I'm looking forward to when we all "live underwater".

Link (also check out their recent parody, "Year 2019")

12. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles

Obviously, you can't forget about THE original boy band. Even if you aren't a boy band fiend, you very likely have heard of the Beatles, for just the sheer effect they had on music for the generations to come.

Link

13. "If I Ruled the World" by Big Time Rush

If this song can't get me smiling, then nothing can.

Link

14. "Good Girls" by 5 Seconds of Summer

This was the first song that made me a fan of 5SOS, and since then it is a staple for any fun playlist.

Link

15. "Don't Charge Me for the Crime" by the Jonas Brothers (ft. Common)

A lesser known song by the Jonas Brothers, "Don't Charge Me for the Crime" showed a different, storytelling side to the boy band that still stuck to the style that made them popular in the first place.

Link

16. "Happily" by One Direction

Another one of the lesser known songs by a mega-popular boy band, "Happily" is actually my favorite song from One Direction's "Midnight Memories" album. Give it a listen, you won't regret it.

Link

17. "Step by Step" by New Kids on the Block

You didn't think I'd forget New Kids on the Block, did you? No way, "Step by Step" is a classic and well-known essential boy band song.

Link

18. "Steal My Girl" by One Direction

What can I say? One Direction delivers once again.

Link

19. "It's Gonna Be Me" by *NSYNC

You can't have just one *NSYNC song!

Link

20. "Me and my Broken Heart" by Rixton

While this is a lesser known band and therefore a lesser known song, don't discount it! "Me and my Broken Heart" is a fun song to sing along and dance to (literally, it makes an appearance in Just Dance 2015).

Link

21. "When You Look Me in the Eyes" by the Jonas Brothers

Who can forget this first power ballad that was surely in the background of all our fantasy weddings? Another song we can't wait to see live again.

Link

22. "Glad You Came" by The Wanted

Remember this song? It used to always be on the radio, and I'm ready for it to come back.

Link

23. "Best Song Ever" by One Direction

Did I watch this video like 16 times the day it came out? Yes. Will I continue to watch it? Yes.

Link

24. "24/Seven" by Big Time Rush

The titular song of their fourth album, this track marks the start of the members of Big Time Rush starting to write their own songs, and honestly, they're really good! This song is so much fun, and if you haven't listened to it yet, follow the link below.

Link

25. "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" by the Backstreet Boys

"Backstreet's back!" We missed you! Now that the Jonas Brothers have followed in your footsteps, what about Big Time Rush? One Direction? Hello?

Link

26. "Amnesia" by 5 Seconds of Summer

I missed the old 5 Seconds of Summer!

Link

27. "I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5

Who can forget young Micheal Jackson with his iconic boy band, the Jackson 5?! "I Want You Back" was written in 1969, but here we are, still jamming out to it in 2019. And we show no signs of stopping.

Link

28. "Shape of My Heart" by the Backstreet Boys

Though it has a sadder tone than many others on this playlist, "Shape of My Heart" is still a Backstreet song that can't be missed, and the emotion is still real.

Link

29. "Blood, Sweat, and Tears" by BTS

Billboard calls this song "the tipping point of BTS' career" and not without good reason.

Link

30. "S.O.S." by the Jonas Brothers

To complete the essential boy band playlist is a last Jonas Brothers song. At least our S.O.S for the Jonas Brothers to come back was answered.

Link

Find this complete playlist on Spotify here.

Happy listening and I'll see you at the next Jonas Brothers concert! (or the next 5SOS concert, or the next Backstreet Boys concert, or the next-well, you get the idea)