'The Act' Hulu True Story

'The Act' On Hulu Is Your Next True Crime Binge

Gypsy Rose and Dee Dee Blanchard are getting the Hollywood treatment in an unsettling coming-of-age story that is all based on real events.

19

The true story of Gypsy Rose and Dee Dee Blanchard is one that is bone-chilling and unsettling, making it a story that could be easily adapted into a television series. This is exactly what Hulu has done with their new original series "The Act". Only four episodes are available for streaming right now, but it's a show I anticipate watching every Wednesday when new episodes come out. The story follows Gypsy Rose Blanchard, a very sick girl with many diseases and physical dysfunctions, who is taken care of by her single mother, Dee Dee. It sounds like a heartwarming tale from the surface, but there are many more layers to this story. The main shocker being that Gypsy Rose is completely healthy and is only convinced of her various diseases by her mother. From here the television series follows Gypsy as she is learning more about herself physically, mentally, and sexually while also discovering the fraud her mother has created by using the false illnesses she perpetrates on her. The result of all of this results in the ultimate murder of Dee Dee, but with this, there is so much going on with these characters that you can't help but sympathize with all of them at one point or another.

Since this is based on a true story and Gypsy Rose Blanchard is still living, although incarcerated, it was important for this show not to romanticize anything and to show what was truly at stake. So far Hulu has done a fantastic job at making sure Gypsy and Dee Dee are as realistic as possible. The show presents both of them as flawed humans to garner sympathy while also showing the viewers that the psychology of these people would be very hard to fix and the tragic ending was almost inevitable. You feel sympathy for Gypsy at times while hating Dee Dee and vice-versa. The portrayals of both people make the actresses behind them almost undetectable. Joey King from Netflix's "The Kissing Booth" has undergone an insane transformation in order to portray Gypsy Rose Blanchard and Patricia Arquette's performance as Dee Dee Blanchard further proves her abilities as a Golden Globe-winning actress.

In a way, Gypsy's journey is a coming of age story. She is unsure of her age but she is feeling changes in herself and what she wants for her future. She is disillusioned by her mother, but also the media's obsession with finding a partner. Her ideas of romance and intense desires cause some questionable decisions to be made and some high stakes to be created. She truly feels trapped in her body and in her home. Although it is deemed wrong to sympathize with murderers and criminals, in this case, it's nearly impossible to not feel bad for Gypsy. The Hulu show is not romanticizing a criminal, but truly showing what was at stake and the abuse that was being perpetrated onto Gypsy. I am so excited to continue watching this show not only for its True Crime story but also the psychological aspects. Make sure to check out "The Act" on Hulu and follow along with the crazy true story.

The Act: Trailer (Official) • A Hulu Original www.youtube.com