The 8 Stages Of Procastination, As Told By 'How I Met Your Mother'

Unless you're one of the lucky few, we've all been there, waiting until the very last minute to study, complete an assignment, or start a paper.

122

Being a college student, or any type of student for that matter usually comes with some serious struggles with procrastination. Don't even get me started on that dreaded 11:59 PM deadline. Unless you're one of the lucky few, we've all been there, waiting until the very last minute to study, complete an assignment or start a paper. For some people, they wait because they like the pressure of an impending deadline but for others (like myself) find that they just genuinely sometimes suck at either time management and tend to put all of their eggs in one basket creating a recipe for disaster or they put things off until there is LITERALLY NO TIME. Whether you fall into none, one, or all of these categories this brutally honest article is guaranteed to be honestly laughable, so keep on reading to see the 8 stages of procrastination as told by the both hilarious and ICONIC show How I Met Your Mother.

Stage 1: False Sense of Security

No matter who you are, you are guaranteed to have experienced this false sense of security at least once in your academic or work career. It starts with the acknowledgment of an impending deadline and the false sense of security that comes with the all too famous line; "I'll still have time". As for anyone who even questions whether or not procrastinating in these situations is a good or bad idea, the result almost always ends with accepting the challenge of procrastinating and still beating your deadline and soon regretting it later.

Stage 2: The False Start

Once you finally get around to starting, you feel motivated and ready but you just can't seem to actually begin. Who knew I could forget how to form a title or stare at a blank word doc for so long. Wait.... oh crap, how did I forget how to spell my professor's name.

Stage 3: The Snack Break

You are finally able to make some progress and get some good momentum, but you know what would be really great? A snack! Because getting up to go find something to satisfy your cravings (especially when you know good and well you don't have anything to eat and are only looking for a good distraction) when you only have two hours left to finish your 4-page paper is clearly the smartest idea you've had all day!

Stage 4: A Change of Scenery

So you manage to find something to snack on, sit back down, stare at your screen for a few minutes and realize; "You know what I really need? Is a change of scenery and coffee shops are great for getting creative juices flowing!" As you decide to get up you grab your phone to check the time and see a text from your friends asking if you want to hang out, to which your mind has a temporary lapse in judgment...

Stage 5: Snap Back to Reality

After a brief temporary lapse in judgement, you snap back to reality (oh there goes gravity) and remind yourself that you're trying to be a successful, responsible adult and still need to graduate on time, so there's no way you're going anywhere other than the local coffee shop to finish whatever it is that you need to get done! And this sudden realization of your imminent doom gives you all the motivation you need to get back on track. #adulting

Stage 6: The Final Stretch

We've all been down this road before and at this point, it's just painful. You've barely been able to focus and work on your paper/assignment and you've gotten pretty far but it feels like you've been working on it for 8 million years and you just can't anymore. So you decide to take a break and procrastinate some more. :)

Stage 7: Panic Mode

This is the part that still gives me anxiety attacks every single time. The rushing to finish your paper and submit knowing you BARELY have any time left. It usually pairs well with some classic denial "No, no, no, this can't be happening!" and a panicked "Dear God, why did I wait until the last minute!?"

Stage 8: "Look Ma, I Made It!"

Oh, the excitement and sweet, sweet relief! Somehow your bad decision to procrastinate until the last minute ended up working out because you defied the odds and can now say, "look ma I made it and I didn't lose any points for turning it in late either!" Who knew it could actually be possible? And make no mistake, you may have barely scraped by with getting your assignment done on time, but the near-death heart attacks you suffered from this procrastinated journey have taught you a lesson and you won't be making the same mistake twice! Or so you say....