The 5 Most Ridiculous Things About "Sex And The City"

The entire plot revolves around sex.

464

For years, "Sex and the City"" was regarded as one of the most popular, as well as controversial, shows for young women and girls. A product of HBO, it had some leeway in showing risque scenes. For a show so many women idolized,(and still do, even after its final episode aired in 2004), it got a lot of things wrong. Here are just a few things that are ridiculous about "Sex and the City."

1. The characters, although they may deny it, are completely dependent on men and love to fulfill their lives.

Granted, this was the plot of the show; however, the characters' entire lives revolve around men, sex and pursuing love to be happy. Although it is a great guilty pleasure show, it sent the wrong message to a lot of young women that you can't truly be happy without a man in your life, and life should revolve around finding one night stands and constantly searching for love.

2. Nothing exists outside the world of Manhattan.

Although this was somewhat exaggerated on the show, sometimes for comedic effect, it sometimes feels a bit ridiculous that the women refuse to ever leave Manhattan. In one episode, Samantha asks the girls to accompany her to a play that a guy she is dating is in, which is in Brooklyn. They spend the show groaning that they can't believe they have to go to Brooklyn. They won't even date any men outside the burrough of Manhattan, and then they wonder why they are having such a hard time finding "the one" and settling down.

3. Carrie is completely irresponsible, but is regarded as the best character.

Most women, when considering the characters, regard Carrie Bradshaw as the best because she is not sarcastic or pessimistic like Miranda, she is not as sex-crazed as Samantha and not as prim and proper as Charlotte. It is easy to see where the other characters have obvious "flaws" (if you can even call them that in this day and age), but Carrie is usually more level-headed and just generally cool. However, there is one big flaw in her character and that is how irresponsible and immature she can be. Not only does she blow all of her money on $400 shoes, in one episode she only had $1600 to her name in a savings and checking account as a 35-year-old woman. If you ask me, it seems more desirable to be Miranda, who is a successful lawyer, or Samantha, who owns her own PR firm. Both of these women have very nice apartments, while Carrie's apartment constantly has maintenance issues.

4. None of the characters are very relatable to middle-class, everyday people.

Even though I mentioned above that Carrie has some financial problems, she ultimately gets bailed out by Charlotte, who married into money (and grew up in Connecticut), and if she hadn't given her a loan, Miranda and Samantha also offered to help out if needed. Not to mention, Carrie is always off-and-on dating "Mr. Big," who is wealthy and drives around in private cars, always offering to help her out with money. When Charlotte gets divorced, her ex-husband gives her the lavish apartment on the Upper East Side for herself, and she doesn't work, but has a volunteer position at The Met. Samantha lives in a very posh apartment, and in every episode, the girls are going out to eat for every meal, drinking expensive cocktails and never take the subway, but only drive around in cabs or private cars.

5. The women are in their mid to late 30s (or in Samantha's case 40s) and they still act as though they are 21.

I understand that part of the show is encouraging women to be independent and not give in to stereotypes like the pressure of marriage and children. There is also the fact that it is more common in a place like New York for people to be single later in life and to have active social lives. However, it can get old when, as 40-year-old women, they are going out to the "hottest new club in Manhattan" dressing like 20-something girls and getting drunk all night. Honestly, grow up.