The 2020 Election Experience

The 2020 Election Experience

Now that the 2020 election is over and the results are in, let's reflect on the voting experience!

61
The 2020 Election Experience

This was mine and many teenagers' first year voting and leading up to this year, we weren't expecting our first election to go this way, no one did. If you were to ask older generations about their past voting experiences, they would agree that this year's election experience was one like no other! Between the pandemic, the mail-in ballots, and the waiting game for the results, this election is one for the history books!

Voting restrictions

When the Covid pandemic started impacting the United States, no one knew how long we would be altering our day to day lives. As months went by, people were becoming more and more aware of the fact that this year was an extremely important year when it comes to politics. The 2020 Presidential Election!

Due to the pandemic and social distancing, everyone was wondering, "how are we going to vote?" The aspect of a "mail-in ballot" was introduced as the main form of submitting your vote. However, there were many people who were fearful that their ballot would've been coerced and not counted. In order to make sure this didn't happen, townships across the nation provided separate "ballot boxes".

The majority of voters submitted their ballot through the ballot boxes, however, people who still wanted the experience of voting on Election Day were still able to have that experience. Me personally, I voted in person on Election Day. Usually, on Election Day, you vote in a voting booth and that is the "true" way of voting. As a result of Covid, people who voted on Election Day in person, me included, were not able to vote using a voting booth and that was disappointing to be completely honest.

The waiting game

As a result of the mail-in ballots and states having to wait until Election Day to start counting votes, it took a long time to find out the results. Election Day was November 3rd this year and for days, everyone was on the edge of their seats and losing sleep as they waited for the presidential results.

Four days later, on November 7th, the results came in and we now have a new President and Vice-President-elect. History has been made!