That Professor Refusing To Update Your Grades Is Actually A Blessing In Disguise

Skills you’re learning by putting up with an unprepared professor.

227

We've all had that professor who waits until finals week to post your quiz grade from week 1.

It's frustrating, nerve-wrecking, and worrisome. Still, we're too busy focusing on the nerves of that quiz grade, that we don't perceive that professor of teaching us what the real world is like.

Here's a few reasons to thank them for "training" you.

1. Bosses don't give you feedback right away

A lot of the time at work, you're going to do your job and you're going to hope you did good, but you're not going to hear back right away.

Whether you're going to be a doctor and have to wait if your patient survives, a lawyer and have to wait to hear back from the DA, or working in an office waiting for customer feedback.

Not hearing back from your professor will help you get used to having to wait for feedback.

2. Forces you to go to office hours

While trying to calculate your grades, you wind up having to go to office hours to ask in person what those grades are. If you're lucky, your professor will see your effort in the class. Plus, the more comfortable you get with the professor, the more you will be open to ask more questions.

This will impress your professor... and voila! Hello letters of recommendation!

3. Teaches you to speak up for yourself. 

As you continue attending office hours to ask about your grades, you are learning an important skill: self-advocacy. You know you are paying for your class and know what you deserve to get out of it.

Speaking up for yourself is a valuable asset in all career fields!

4. Life is unexpected. 

Let's say your professor doesn't see your effort and doesn't post your grades until the very end if the term. You don't know your grade until it's posted and too late.

See, that's the thing about life. You can't calculate your moves and plan it out to every detail. It's unexpected— life.

5. Can make you see the best in yourself. 

Alternatively, if you expect to do not so well, you may surprise yourself. Sometimes you don’t realize what you’re capable of until life puts you to the test.