9 Reasons Why Thanksgiving Is The Best Holiday

...and it's not just because of the food!

68
autumn

Sorry Christmas and Halloween, but Thanksgiving is the best holiday to celebrate. While the origins and story of the Holiday may be debated, I still believe that the message is nice. It reminds people to stop and look around. It allows them to slow down, enjoy where they are, and hopefully share that joy with family or friends.

Whether you are able to spend time with people you love or not, I hope that this Thanksgiving provides peace and comfort. A little turkey and dressing wouldn't hurt either. So, here are my top reasons as to why I enjoy Thanksgiving.

The Weather

You couldn't ask for better weather. The Fourth of July is always way too hot and New Year's Eve is always way too cold. Thanksgiving, as well as Halloween, always seems to be a decent fall day. It's cool enough to be enjoyable. Even if a few leaves are falling.

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

This has always been a tradition of mine. While everyone cooks, me and my grandmother sit on the couch to watch the parade. It's a spectacle that always dazzles. To me, it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it.

Football Season

I know that football games are played on Thanksgiving Day, but my favorite part of football season happens the Saturday after it. The last regular season college football game is played and that means Alabama and Auburn play. The entire state is divided on one Saturday throughout the year. So you have to watch it.

A Much Needed Break From School and Work

Thanksgiving falls right before Christmas and finals. So, it's nice to have something that allows for a time to visit family and friends right before the semester ends. It also provides for an extended weekend to whoever is lucky enough to get off of work.

Black Friday Shopping or Cyber Monday Shopping

The shopping season is always hectic and Black Friday helps to kick that off! Hopefully, if you do decide to shop, it isn't too crazy. Just remember to be safe, don't fight over something that you can order online, and to be kind to those that are working!

Family

Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas seem to be about the only times of the year when my entire family is able to come together. It's always nice to catch up with your favorite cousin. However, sometimes it's best to sit back and take in what everyone else is saying. Family is family.

Friends

Friends are a close second to family. I love it when everyone comes home from school and we get to spend time with each other. Sometimes, your friends are all that you have and it's great to have them. Especially on holidays like this.

Allows You To Reflect On Your Year 

Hopefully, you aren't too scared about how your year has gone. Maybe you stuck to your New Year's resolution that you made all the way back in January. Kudos to you! However, if you haven't that is perfectly fine! As you go about eating your pumpkin pie, or any other dessert, determine what were the positives and negatives of your year thus far. Would you handle any experiences differently in the upcoming year?

Provides For A Nice Transition Into Christmas

Thanksgiving seems to have become an early Christmas. Well, decorations are put up at least. I don't particularly enjoy having my Christmas tree up during Thanksgiving, but I don't mind seeing everyone else's. It really gets everyone in the Christmas spirit.