Going home for Thanksgiving

What I Realized During My First Thanksgiving Break

"Home is where the heart is" could not be truer.

122
Lauren Feiges

The first person to greet me after my long flight home was my dog (yes, my dog is a person in my family). Sinking my face into her newly conditioned fur and feeling wet, slobbery kisses on my cheek lifted a weight off my shoulders for the first time since August. Even if it was for a short time, I was home.

My dog, Sadie, is the simplest and sweetest part of home. Excitement filled her face the second I got in the car and it was like I had never left. This feeling of never leaving followed me this past week, from flying down the same freeway I took after school, to getting coffee with my friend of 15 years. Familiarity was not a bore like it had been when I was permanently home, but a blessing.

I know this is not a unique feeling to have. It was strange to realize I wasn't looking forward to coming home more than I was. While I had missed home, I had wondered how my evolution at school was going to affect the way I related to Bellevue, the people, and places I used to know. I was surprised to discover that instead of my changing being a difficult thing to overcome, It ended up being a tool I could use to put things into perspective. Bellevue is my home, but Madison is where I need to be right now.

On Thanksgiving day, I was driving with my mom when she asked me a particularly strange question. She turned to me and asked me if I would miss Bellevue if my family decided to leave. Reflecting on my answer, I was surprised to tell her that I would. When my mom asked me why, I told her that Bellevue was where I was born and raised, virtually my whole life. Even though I resented it when I was living there, all that was needed to shift my viewpoint was exposure. Coming to the University of Wisconsin, and realizing how lucky I was to grow up with everything I needed was definitely something that made me think long and hard about why I was in such a hurry to be rid of my home. While it was necessary I leave, I miss it very much every day. No matter how much you may need change, your roots are your roots for a reason, they ground you, anchoring you to a place you can call your own.