The Anticipation Of Thanksgiving Break As A College Student

We all just want to be home.

As we change our clocks and the chilly November nights come along, the feelings of the holiday season are in full effect.

Being at school, away from home during this time of year, a mix of emotions come upon you. Although the holiday season automatically reminds of you spending time with family and celebrating together, being at school with friends gives you the opportunity to create new traditions as you begin to enter adulthood.

Thanksgiving break is right around the corner and being at school with friends who you are genuinely thankful for makes the anticipation of being with family a little easier. Leading up to Thanksgiving break, it is obvious to me how blessed I am to be surrounded by such amazing people. Getting together, decorating our doors and rooms with Thanksgiving decorations sent by family through care packages and enjoying each others company keeps one another focused on school work before break.

Although being with one another at school prior to Thanksgiving break is fun, it is obvious that at some points we want to give up on school work and go home and be with family. Luckily, we have each other to talk to and remind one another that we will be home soon, maybe even creating a countdown to motivate one another. The semester is more than halfway complete and you are just weeks or even days away from celebrating Thanksgiving with your families in the comport of your own home! Talking to one another about our own traditions and memories also helps the time pass.

As break comes along and we say our goodbyes for just a few days, excitement is all around. Whether it be Pep Rallies, football games, family dinner, Black Friday shopping, or annual traditions such as Thanksgiving Eve Bonfires, we have so much to be thankful as we go home. Nothing beats participating in holiday traditions with your family.

So, as the holiday season sneaks around the corner, be sure to spend as much time with friends at school and enjoy each others company. These are memories that you will hold forever as you being to grow into adulthood. College is "the best years of your life," so spend time with those around you in the weeks and days leading up to the holidays instead of having the holiday blues and missing your family. Soon enough, you will be back with family celebrating your own holiday traditions.