Thank You To My Step Parent

The Thank You Step Parents Never Get

It often means more love, more fun, and more people rallying for you every step of the way.

5
The Thank You Step Parents Never Get
Emily Jacquish

Being a part of a blended family is a beautiful thing. It often means more love, more fun, and more people rallying for you every step of the way. What often isn't seen is that creating a positive picture for you and your siblings can come with difficulty. Joining a new unit can be trying, especially when feelings are still raw. For someone that does not have kids of their own yet, stepping into this situation is a little daunting. Not only are you a wife or husband now, but you're a parent too. As an adult, I am dating, but I can't imagine taking on the role of parent anytime soon. In light of this, I wanted to say thank you to my step-parent.

You've always been there even when it was hard. My teenage years weren't terrible, but they definitely were emotional. Regardless, you were there to love me and walk me through it. As a child, you made me dinner, braided my hair, shopped for me, took me to get my nails done, helped me with homework, and so much more. Every step of my way, you were there to cheer me on. From music lessons and t-ball to academic ceremonies, you were front row with a camera in hand. It is with great pleasure that I can look back on my childhood and say that I had you there to be my friend and supporter.

You created balance when it was lost. Living in two different households, there is a sense of imbalance in my world, so much that sometimes I thought I was going to fall right off the balance beam. It was difficult toggling back and forth or juggling mom's opinion versus dad's opinion. Instead of adding to that chaos, you made life a little easier. Countless talks at the kitchen table taught me that it was all going to work out, and that I have lots of people who just wanted the best for me. Likewise, I always knew that I could talk it out with you, no matter what the problem.

Lastly, thank you for loving me as your own. In times when it can be hard to connect, you made the extra effort. In times when you had a long day or didn't feel like doing anything, you still made dinner, coached me through my dilemmas or homework and made my world a little better. I can only hope that one day I will be half the person you are to help and love others as much as you've helped and loved me.