I’m Thankful That My Past Didn’t Work Out

"It's OK to look back at the past. Just don't stare." — Benjamin Dover

126

Six months ago, I would’ve thought that right now my life would be totally different. I thought I would still have my sorority letters, I would still be in a relationship and would be doing an internship in Arkansas related to my major. That’s not my life now though. Now I’m no longer a member of that sorority, no longer in that relationship and working as a cashier at a sporting goods store. I’m in no way bitter about this, because I love how my life is now. It’s the way that God intended for it to be.

The past is meant to change you and shape you, and that is exactly what it did for me. I got dismissed from my sorority and found solidarity in Chi Alpha Campus Ministries (http://chialpha.com) at my university which caused my relationship with Christ to grow even stronger. I got broken up with then, found myself while also growing into the strong woman that I am today and still kept that dear person as my friend. I got a job at my favorite sporting goods store and have gotten to meet people who can give references for me when I start my career later. During these six months, I’ve discovered who I really am, and I grew even closer to my best friends. I’m thankful for that.

Many of us as humans on this Earth dwell on things that have happened in our past. Why do we do that? Because we think that those things can be changed, even though they can’t be. We must stop worrying about all of the bad things that happened in the past and use them to shape us into the individuals that God has planned for us to be. All of those bad things will lead you to an even better thing like mine did for me. You must find the light in all of the darkness. These bad things cause you to be stronger, because in some situations strong is the only thing you can be.

You got broken up with? Then it wasn’t meant to be, and you can’t change that, so don’t go back to that ex. This was just another stepping stone to find the one person that you’re meant to spend forever with. If God closed that door in your life, then it’s not meant to be opened again later. You failed a class? Use this as a lesson to keep up with deadlines and study harder for tests. A friend walked out of your life? Maybe it was for the better and that friend wasn’t doing good things for you. These are just a few examples to show that better things will come from the bad happenings in your life.

Don’t let the bad drag you down, you must find the good in negativity. Trust what God is doing with your life and be thankful for where you are now.