Why Second-Semester Sorority Recruitment Is A Good Thing
College Greek

My School Does Sorority Recruitment Second Semester And It Makes Rush So Much Better

The perks behind having to wait.

236

When choosing a place to attend college, there are lots of things you look at. These things also depend on what type of person you are. I had somewhat known I wanted to rush and was really upset when I learned that Miami University doesn't rush until second semester. I knew I was going far away from home where I wouldn't know anyone. The thought of having to make friends all on my own during first semester without the help of a sorority was scary to me. Looking back, I wish someone would've told me how it would come to make a world of difference.

My school has a large Greek community. When I first got here, it seemed like that was all any freshman girls would ever talk about. "Are you thinking of rushing?" or, "Do you know any older girls in a sorority?" After a while, it all subsided, but the first few weeks felt like I would never make any friends. Luckily, not being in a sorority yet really forced me to step out of my comfort zone, and I wasn't the only one doing this.

The beginning of freshman year is actually the easiest time to make friends in my opinion. No one really knows anyone, so most people are pretty nice and open. This is the time that I found some of my best friends, people I can honestly see standing up in my wedding years from now. I met five girls that first semester of freshman year who I still talk to every single day almost three years later.

Not having rush or being in a sorority as a safety net was actually a blessing in disguise. I found these amazing girls to hang out with, which made the transition into school and being far away so much easier than I expected. When first semester came to a close, we all went through rush, and the even better part was that we all ended up in different sororities. At first, this too seemed scary because now we were used to the comfort of having each other. We quickly realized that this made our friendship even stronger and honestly way more fun.

We got to attend each other's parties and meet each other's new friends. It suddenly felt like there was constantly something to do, whether that was hanging with our new sorority sisters or our "freshman year friends," as we like to call each other. It's been refreshing to have a little bit of both worlds. It has provided me so much peace knowing that I always have someone to fall on if there's a little bit of drama in one group or the other.

Now at the end of my junior year, I look back on all the memories we've made together, cherishing the fact that we've all still kept in touch. We don't see each other as often now that we're more involved in our separate sororities, but it's OK because when we do get together, it is constant laughs.

I'm not sure if I would be as close to my "freshman year friends" or even have them if my school had done rush first semester of freshman year. I'm sure you can make just as good of friends if you rush right away, but if your sorority isn't for you, then it might be a bit harder. Regardless, I am so thankful to have found the girls that I did. I encourage any shy and nervous freshman girl to step out of her comfort zone...it'll make all the difference.