A Thank You To Odyssey
Hobbies

A Thank You To Odyssey

A tribute to the site that help me become the writer I am today.

46
A Thank You To Odyssey

When I think back to how far I have come in my writing career, I never would have thought it would be where I am at today. Almost two years ago, I joined this amazing website, and it has truly changed my life for the better. Coming into it, I thought I would mostly use it as a way to talk about pop culture, things I found funny, and a way to rant about stupid things. But over time, the platform began to allow me to find my voice in issues that truly resonated with me.

When I first started writing, I thought Odyssey was a platform for just pop culture, something to write about "Top 10" lists and angry twitter mobs. I remember coming onto the platform fully excited to begin giving my piece of mind on what hot fashion topics and open letters I wanted to write. The first few months of writing were great. My creative juices were absolutely flowing, and I thought I was producing some of the best pieces of my time as a writer.

However, after a while, I found that the pop culture articles weren't all I thought they were. I found myself growing bored with the content I was writing. I needed something else to talk about. I felt my writing was strained and pushed. It didn't feel natural. The content I was creating wasn't me and wasn't the things that I was entirely interested in. They were things I thought would get views.

As I moved my time to a bi-weekly schedule, as things in college began to kick up, I decided to try a different approach to my writing. I began to write about politics. I began to take the things I was truly passionate about and make that the center of my writing. My writing kicked back up again, and I truly found my actual passion. I figured out what I wanted to do in my career. And I was finally back in my groove.

Odyssey inspired me to find my voice. Not just my writing voice but my voice in this world. It resonated with me in what I was good at talking about, and what I was good with mediating and talking to others. I was able to truly find the confidence to not be afraid to voice my opinions, and know that not everyone will always agree with you. I can't imagine where I'd be without Odyssey. Writing has helped me through the toughest times in my life, and having this outlet has been what I've needed.

To my amazing team - they've created such a loving and inclusive environment. Anyone with anything to say can come onto this platform and team and know they have a family of friends to back them up, agree or disagree. I don't know what my future holds with writing, but I hope it remains a constant, and I will always give credit to my time at Odyssey.