A Thank You Letter To My Parents

A Thank You Letter To My Parents

You love to hate them, but you love to love them even more.

701
A Thank You Letter To My Parents
Rudy van der Veen

Dear Mom and Dad,

When I was little, you built an igloo in the backyard so Mark and I could go inside and pretend we were in Antarctica. You took us to Disney world and all over the country in our little pop-up camper, and I remember the big bed would get so sandy because all five of us kids slept in it.

When I was a Junior in high school, you let me go to Ireland for two weeks over Christmas with Jenny and Kathryn, and when I was a Senior, you let me go to California for a week with Abby. This year, you let me study abroad for four months in England, allowing me to then go to other places like France and Greece.

What I am trying to say is that in my 19 years of life, I have gotten to experience more than some people see in their entire lifetime, and that is all thanks to the two of you. I know it couldn't have been easy raising five kids and putting them all through high school and college within a few years of each other, but you never let us see how hard it got, you just kept letting us live and have these incredible experiences.

I never noticed how much you both have had to sacrifice to get our family to where it is today, and I know I don't say it as much as I should, but thank you. All the stories I have from traveling, the people I've met and have in my life, and the one of a kind moments that have happened to me, all of them have happened thanks to you two. I don't know if there will ever be enough words to truly express what you both mean to me, but I definitely know I want to try. So here it goes:

Dad:

You have always been my rock when I was growing up, and whenever I felt scared or panicked I knew I could come running to you and that you would get me through it. Whether that meant driving around and letting me talk it all out, or just stroking my hair and letting me cry on your lap. Everyone said you were a tough guy, but you never were around me and I will never be able to tell you what those moments meant to me back then and still mean to me now.

One of my favorite memories with you was going to the Phillies games, just the two of us, and we would sit and talk and watch the game. It was so nice because it was just our thing: nobody else was there, just you and me.

I remember the one time when we sat in the outfield so I could see Shane Victorino and how you always let me run up to the gate so I could see him in person. I loved those games because spending time with you was like spending time with my best friend.

I've always had a close bond with you, Dad. I never liked leaving you, and I always found that when I went away to Ireland or England or even college, that you were always my hardest goodbye. I would always try to be strong because I knew you were being strong for Mom, but I always had to give you a second hug just in case. You were one of my best friends when I was little, and you're still one of my best friends now except the jokes we make now are a lot more sarcastic and funnier.

I have always known you to be there for me and I know that even more now. I know I don't say it a lot but Dad, you have made me the person I am today, you helped me push through all the bad stuff until I could see the good in myself. You have always been my rock, and I'll always love you for that. Thank you.

Mom:

I have always loved you, and when I was younger and I didn't show it, I think it was because maybe I was jealous: of my other siblings or of the relationships my only-child friends had with their moms. I don't know what exactly but, I know that I always wanted to spend time with you, and I think because I couldn't always get that one-on-one with you, I started to pull away.

When we were little, we had you all to ourselves, every morning and every night and then you went back to school to get a better job so you could support us and our family. I remember watching you study in your room, and wishing that instead, you would pay attention to me. But I know now that when you were studying and taking tests, that you were paying attention to me because you were doing it all for me and our family.

You were doing it so I would get to become the person I am and be able to have all the experiences that I have had. You did it all for us.

Our relationship wasn't always the best, but I do remember how when we were little you would hand make each of our backpacks, putting little decorations and designs of the things each of us liked. I always loved those bags, and everyone in school was always jealous of them.

I had such pride that my mom had made this especially for me and that she knew me so well. Or how every birthday we could always count on waking up to having the house decorated in honor of us, with a homemade birthday banner that you made and a sign on the door that told everyone who entered our house that it was our day.

Looking back on everything, Mom, I am still just beginning to see everything you have done for me. Whether it was staying up and letting me cry after I didn't get into the college I wanted, or staying up and helping me write papers in college, late at night when I knew that all you want to do is go to sleep. You have always been there for me Mom and I am sorry that I have overlooked it for so long.

You are one of the best people in my life, and every time I am away from you I realize how much you mean to me and how talking to you makes me feel safe and at home even if I am on the other side of the world.

You are the best Mom I could have asked for and if one day I get to be half the amazing, strong, and corny woman that you are, I will know that I am doing something right. Thank you for all the behind-the-scenes things you have done for me. I can never repay you, but know that I love you very much and thank you.

Mom and Dad, you both have always let me live my dreams and supported me in everything that I have done. You both have made me who I am and I can't thank you enough because every day I am starting to like her a little more.

This letter is to honor the both of you and all the unseen, underappreciated things you guys do that you don't get credit for. I love you both very much, and I'll never have enough words to thank you, but hey, this is a start.

Love your daughter,

Sam