A Thank You Letter to My Dogs (From their Person over 1,000 Miles Away)

If only they could read this

57
Roets Family

To my dearest furballs (and best pals),

Hello my sweet babies! Here we are, a month until I see you again. It feels like it’s been ages, yet it’s only been less than three months! I miss your enthusiastic greetings. I miss your snuggles and kisses. I miss your playful jaunts around the kitchen, your nails sliding on the tile. Most of all, I miss the unwavering stream of love you guys always give me! Being without you for the past three months, I’ve realized all the things I take for granted when I’m home. So here’s me, your mom/big sister/person over 1,000 miles away, saying thank you for…

Always making me feel better when I’m sad

Be the cause anxiety, a bad test score, friendship/family drama, or a certain orange bigot gaining presidential office, you two are ALWAYS the best remedy to any gloomy day. Your dopey faces and overpowering tails can strike happiness into even the worst times, and I am so thankful to have such wonderful furry therapists always willing to listen.

Putting up with my hyper self (even though I put up with yours, too)

I know, I know, I know. I’m overwhelming enough to people, let alone you patient puppies (especially when I was surprised with one of you and basically short-circuited from excitement). I know you probably don’t appreciate me dancing around the kitchen and nearly stepping on you half the time, but thanks for not getting too fed up with me.

Never letting me work out in front of the TV

You guys are smart. You know that if I set up my yoga mat in front of an episode of SVU I would end up sitting on the couch eating popcorn, not exercising like I should be. So thank you for your persistent kisses and pats that eventually push me to go work out in my room without distractions. (Also, I feel like you guys know on some level that I’d probably hit my head on the ceiling fan during burpees, so thanks for protecting me too.

Making me laugh ALL THE DAMN TIME

Good gravy, you two are the funniest dynamic duo probably ever. From weird facial expressions to your regular spazzing out, I find myself laughing at you guys 90% of the time! Good thing Mom sends me pictures and videos of your antics, otherwise I’d definitely miss you way too much!

Being the best lil heaters ever

Thank you for lying on my ice cold feet or over my lap when I’m cold (let’s be honest, even when I’m not cold). Who needs space heaters when I can have your toasty paws resting on me whenever I want! Living in freezing Iowa, that’s probably something I miss the most. Who needs a boyfriend to snuggle when I have my two favorite cuddlers already on my couch!

I can’t wait to see your faces, throw endless snowballs for you, and give and receive an incredible amount of love in just a few short weeks. See you soon and love you always!

Love,

Your mom/big sister/person over 1,000 miles away.