A Thank You Letter To My High School Best Friends

Thank you for being you.

40
IG: @taylorlundin_
A thank you letter to my high school best friends:

Although we were friends before we reached freshman year, high school is when I needed you the most. From helping me through my first boyfriend to holding my hand through various heartbreaks after that—whether that be actual boys, or sports, or anything in between. You were consistently supporting me at my best and always worked hard to lift me up at my worst. You gave me unconditional love, an array of adorable group pictures, and a lifetime of memories. You supported me through choosing a college, to choosing a major (and also were so excited for me two years later when I changed it), and so much more. For that, I will never be able to thank you enough.

I was lucky enough to find you two: two incredibly unique, beautiful friends in this lifetime that—while loving me during my triumphs, as well as my failures—showed me how to have fun. While there are some situations that we cannot talk about due to them not being technically legal, these were all memories (and hilarious pictures) that I will remember for the rest if my life. You taught me that life does not need to be taken so seriously and that sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves when we mess up.

From road trips, to 3am runs to get Insomnia cookies or milkshakes, or eating every piece of food in my house—all of it was better with you two with me. Getting to spend senior prom with you, going on trips together, and dressing up in ninja costumes to scare Katie when she got to my house—these are some of the best memories I carry with me, even three years later.

One trip I will never forget was making our road trip out to Chicago. We spent six hours driving out there, singing songs like “You’ll Be in my Heart” the entire way. I had been on countless road trips before, and have been on a handful since, and none compare to that one we took the summer after senior year. I will always cherish our Ferris-wheel ride when Katie peed her pants at the very top from laughing so hard…and then peeing her pants—again—on Susan’s lap while riding in the cart behind that man’s bicycle because we could not stop laughing because of how loudly we were singing “Eye of the Tiger” down the streets of Chicago.

There were also a handful of bad times for each of us—when we weren’t sure we would make it out of a situation the same. However, the three of us stood together and loved one another, and we made each other better and stronger.

Leaving high school was easy, but leaving you two was one of the saddest things I had to do. Susan threw the final party of the summer—most of which I spent crying as I said my goodbyes to everyone—and then that was it. We had one last lunch together the day before I moved to school to start pre-season, reminiscing about our memories together, gave each other the biggest hugs, and I left.

Unlike most high school friendships, I am blessed that you two have stayed in my life and have remained supportive, even as we continue further into our third year of college. I am so grateful that we can visit each other, meet each other’s college friends (and love them so much) while continuing our 4-year-strong group message.

So, thank you, Katie and Susan, for being the most supportive, kind, loyal, and loving best friends that I could have asked to spend my high school years with. Susan, I am so thankful that we met on the bus in first grade and that you made me stay up all night to play Pokémon with you in the second grade. Also, thank you for calling me “Tatertot” and inspiring my first instant messaging username Kat, thank you for being my rock, no matter what happens. Thank you for standing by me through everything that has happened to me since we became friends in the seventh grade, and thank you for loving my college friends (almost) as much as you love me.

I miss you both so much, but I know I will see you soon. I know these are friendships that will last forever, and for that, I am eternally grateful. From the bottom of my heart—thank you—I love you.

You’ll be in my heart, always.

Tay