Thank You, Mom, For Not Being My Friend

Thank You, Mom, For Not Being My Friend

She truly is the woman they talk about in Proverbs 31, and I couldn't have asked for a better mother or role model.

46
Thank You, Mom, For Not Being My Friend

Growing up, I had a great childhood. I had plenty of friends, had tons of friends, and had a ton of fun. My parents had an authoritative style of parenting. They had reasonable expectations and demands, but were also very responsive as well. My mom was my parent first and has become my friend as I've gotten older.

She was my mom before she was my friend. I'm so happy about that because I wasn't considered a "bratty" kid growing up. Of course I had my stubborn, hard-headed moments, but for the most part I was a pretty good kid. But this was in no way my doing. I had parents that could just give me "the look" and I knew to be quiet or to sit down. In school, I was the same way. I never gave teachers any problems. I was always on the green card. I've never been sent to the principal's office or have been suspended. Basically, I was a good listener to authority and knew not to cause problems at school because I knew that if I did, I would get in trouble at home.

Because she was my parent first, she made me into a person that she wants to be friends with now. Of course she hasn't stopped being my mom, but now she's becoming more of a friend than my 24/7 babysitter. I'm not a mom, but I think this is probably the most fun part of being a parent. Being able to watch your kids grow up to be an adult and watch them make decisions based on the knowledge and wisdom you taught them is pretty exciting and scary at the same time. But, it is the most interesting because you get to watch them be adults after you have seen them as a kid.

I think that her style of parenting has definitely benefited and shaped me into the person I am today. She wasn't my best friend, but she also wasn't cruel with unrealistic expectations for my life. She was there from helping me with my homework to helping me fill out my first job application. She was at every softball or soccer game and every awards ceremony from elementary to high school. But she was also there to discipline me when I was acting like a brat, and to answer questions I had about anything.

I had an awesome childhood growing up, and I hope one day to be the excellent mom that my mom has been to me. She truly is the woman they talk about in Proverbs 31, and I couldn't have asked for a better mother or role model.

So, thank you, mom, for not being my friend.