A Testimony to My 2018 Self

A Testimony to My 2018 Self

Life may have hit you with a rock, but throw it back a pebble.
72

12 months, 365 new chances for adventure, love, and life

One year has terminated and another is born. 2017 was a whirlwind of a year, which the news have constantly tormented and reminded us day after day. However, 2017 was a blessing for many. Some people gained a new family member, others underwent rites of passages marking their progress in life, and some have even became legal citizens.

Everyone's experience with 2017 was unique, some better than others. For me, 2017 was a roller-coaster extravagance at Six Flags. I experienced feelings that were new and frustrating, yet natural for humans. From moments of betrayal, people's true personalities became transparent to me and showed those whom are truly loyal to me. I cut ties with a friendship that I was extremely close with and loved, until I realized I was receiving unrequited love and putting in more effort than is fair.

Jealousy caused unnecessary competition since there are people in the world that do not want to see you succeed. Even I succumbed to jealousy at one point, drowning my mind with paranoid and shrewd thoughts. A peer close to me decided it would be fun to completely conjure up an absolute lie that threatened my reputation. And a boy decided to juggle with my emotions without a single care in the world.

Despite all this, I managed to keep myself sane and still express an inexhaustible joie de vivre. I laughed, smiled, cried tears of joy, and hiked on amazing adventures with people who actually value our relationship. I never did and never will forget about the past, but I don't regret any second of it. I will hold on to these memories because they will hold on to me.

In 2017, I learned how to look out for myself and put myself first when it matters most. Thanks to 2017, I will now walk into 2018 judging who is good enough to be in my life than if I am good enough to be in one's life. I will stop trying to make everything go my way and will let God take the wheel. Karma does exist and will get back at those who do me wrong.