Teacher's Pet: a little look into my True Crime binge

I learned about this story one afternoon while I was babysitting.

I'm someone who needs to have some sort of stimulation basically 24/7.

So, on this afternoon, once the baby had fallen asleep I researched top crime podcasts. I happened upon The Teachers Pet a popular Australian podcast. After it's release in 2018 it had 28 million downloads and was the number one podcast in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the United Kingdom.

After the first five minutes, I was intrigued and by the time I fell asleep the next night I had finished the entire first season. The story was scandalous, complex, and horrifying.

The story starts with Lynette Dawson usually known as Lyn, her husband Chris Dawson and their two young daughters.

Lyn suddenly disappears in 1982 with almost no trace. Her husband says they have been having problems in their marriage and she has run away with a religious cult.

At first, no one thinks that this is that out of the blue, everyone knew the couple was unhappy and there were rumors that Chris had been grooming and having an affair with their sixteen-year-old baby sitter.

Lyn's friends and family quickly go to police claiming that Lyn would have never left her daughters, she would have brought them with her. The police aren't able to do much but file a missing person's report a few days later.

Lyn was an adult giving her the autonomy to leave her family and start a new life without being found. To make matters worse or at least more suspicious Chris has their young babysitter move in with him and his daughters, replacing his missing wife.

Now this story might sound pretty cut and dry, the husband did it so he could upgrade his older wife for a young girl.