To The Teacher That Thrives On Putting Kids Down

I will pray for you. For your sake and the sake of all your students.

517

There are several things that motivate me to want to be a teacher. I have had so many influential teachers in my life and there are many values that they possess that I also want to possess when I am a teacher. But unfortunately, there are teachers who aren’t so great. I never in a million years will understand that. Why the heck would you want to be a teacher if you are just going to be put your students down? I just do not understand it. Why do you want to teach? Is it because you never felt like you had control of your own life, so you get some kind of sick satisfaction when you can control others’ lives? Or do you feel so incredibly small that you need a profession where you have the opportunity to put down the vulnerable? Another question, as Taylor Swift would put it, why you gotta be so mean? Do you thrive off students not liking you because you are so used to being an outcast in the “real world”? Honestly, I want to know because I am going into this profession because of the difference I want to make in kids lives and the difference they will make on mine. Along with the numerous amounts of learning opportunities I will be exposed to by being in the classroom with the brilliant minds of the future generations. I see teaching as an opportunity to lift others up, while you only see it as another way to put people down. I honestly feel sorry for you because something pretty bad must have happened in your life for you to act the way you do.

Just to clarify, I will never be like you. I will never compare my life to my students’ and brag about how much better mine is. I will never talk to them about their parents’ financial situation just to gloat about how skilled I am with my money. I will never roam the halls just to find a student to yell at. I will never discourage my students from taking the path they want to, whether that is marriage or the single life. I will never make fun of a student’s work especially in front of the whole class. I will never put down their career choice. I will always build them up. I will never tell my students they are worthless. I will always remind them they are priceless. Because their lives matter to me, they matter to this world, despite what you may think. But most importantly, I will be a safe haven for my students, not a safety hazard. By showing me the type of rude, selfish, egotistical people that are in the classrooms, you have made me want to be a better person. You will continue to motivate me to be the best teacher I can be so that if I have a kid in my class that had a teacher like you, he or she will know what a caring and loving teacher looks like, instead of the polar opposite. I will be able to repair the mental damage they have gone through. So thank you. I really do hope you change. You will always be in my prayers. For your sake and the sake of all your students.

(Now that I think about it, just listen to Taylor Swift's song, "Mean", because that pretty much sums up this article.)