14 Perfect Tea-Book Pairs For Every Bibliophile

Ah, the bliss of a good book and a warm cup of tea.

363
Unsplash

There are certain things that are just meant to go together - rainy days and cuddles with pets, the beach and ice cream cones, Bob Ross and happy little trees - but the finest combination is a good book and a cup of tea. Browse any book-lover's Instagram or watch BookTube and you'll find it is an undeniable truth.

While any tea and book are enjoyable together, there are some pairs predestined for perfection. If you've never tried any of the below combinations, I heartily suggest that you do. They are, in my humble opinion, the absolute best ever.

1. Chamomile (with honey!) and "Winnie the Pooh" by A. A. Milne or "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff.

Winnie the Pooh is a willy nilly silly old bear that we have all come to know and love. Chamomile tea captures his calm, curious spirit and gently brightens your day, just like the adventures of Pooh bear and his friends. Don't forget a small smackerel of honey to make it just right.

2. Earl Grey and any Jane Austen novel.

The characters in Jane Austen's novels almost always drink tea and I honestly think it's a crime not to join them. Jane herself probably drank strains of black and green teas from the company Twining's, which is still a popular brand today. Earl Grey is a tea flavored with bergamot, often associated with Jane Austen novels and has an interesting history that shares a close time period to Jane and her books.

3. Star anise and "Howl's Moving Castle" by Diana Wynne Jones.

Star anise tea is most known for its health properties, but I chose it for its shape and licorice flavor. Stars play a somewhat mysterious, but pivotal role in "Howl's Moving Castle" and licorice seems an appropriately odd flavor for this magical tale. If you loved the Studio Ghibli film, I highly recommend the book.

5. Lavender blends and "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman.

Neil Gaiman's style is fantastical, melancholy, and poignant. He is one of my favorite authors and deserves to be coupled with one of my favorite teas. Lavender reflects his voice with an earthy flavor that is known for quieting nerves and opening dreams. Depending on what is is blended with, this tea often has a pale (you could say ~ghostly~) color.

6. Coffee and "Furiously Happy" by Jenny Lawson.

Okay, so coffee isn't tea, but this book doesn't play by the rules so I'm not going to either. Jenny Lawson has a hilarious way of tapping into your slighty-frenzied side and making it seem acceptable. After you read the book, you feel more human and ready to take on the challenge of being uniquely you. (A lot like coffee.)

7. Chocolate masala chai and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" by Raold Dahl.

There's chocolate in this book and there's chocolate in this tea. There's spice in this book and there's spice in this tea. I love chocolate. I love spice. They all belong togther.

8. Rooibos and "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingslover.

Rooibos is a unique South African tea that can sometimes be slightly sweet and sometimes taste very earthy. Perspective shifts, reflection, and open-mindedness are all part of this combined experience.

9. Sweet Iced Tea and "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd.

Alright, technically the beverage shown in the picture is tepache (a partially fermented Mexican drink made from pineapple, water, and brown sugar). It looks delicious, but I've never had it before, so I can't comment on if it pairs nicely with "The Secret Life of Bees". Sweet iced tea, however, definitely does. The book takes place in South Carolina during the 1960's which is a sweltering environment, in more ways than one. What better way to cool down in the South than with a tall, cool glass of sweet tea? Bless your heart.

10. English Breakfast and "The Hitchhkiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.

Poor Arthur Dent just wants a cuppa. I am forever endeared to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" for its quirky, dry humor and absolute other-worldliness. To keep you grounded and in the spirit of our favorite hapless Earthling, English Breakfast tea is the only true companion for this eccentric tale.

11. Black Tea and "The Hobbit" by J. R. R. Tolkien.

Hobbits are all about comfort and food. Second breakfast? Elevenses? Both dinner and supper? Yes, please. Basic black tea (maybe with a squeeze of lemon) is a quintessential cornerstone for any Afternoon Tea and particularly ready to be packed along for adventures.

12. Oolong and "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carrol.

I imagine that all of the tea cups at the Mad Hatter's tea party are filled with the many varients of Oolong tea. If you don't like what is in front of you, just move down (if there's room, of course)!

13. Rose blends and Fairytales.

Roses and fairytales have a long partnership. This popular flower symbolizes innocence, seduction, time, danger, love—all the makings of the best fables. Rose tea will compliment any fanciful story you decide to dive into, original or modern.

14. Hibiscus blends and "The Curious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Hibiscus tea is tart and has a deep red color, making it the ideal potion to accompany "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". Celestial Seasonings has a line of "zinger" teas, which use hibiscus as their base note. Experimentation and a pungent flavor is the key to this strange (get it?) pair.

All of these teas and all of these books can stand on their own. But when you pair the right tea with the right book, you transform the experiences of each. You can taste the story in every sip and your cup becomes filled with a meaning beyond flavors.

Consider which teas best compliment your favorite books and enjoy a genuinely immersive read.