The Problems Of Being A Tea Addict

The Problems Of Being A Tea Addict

I could be addicted to street drugs, you're welcome Mom!

242
The Problems Of Being A Tea Addict
Elizabeth Webb

Some people love coffee, and I commend them for it because I do enjoy a nice cup of joe every now and then. There is something familiar in the strong aroma of freshly brewed coffee and something comforting in the strong bitter acidity — though that could just be that it mirrors my bitter soul. Yet I will always be a tea addict. I have a whole, overflowing, tote dedicated to this liquor of the gods. Some would say that I have a problem but it could be worse. This doesn't mean that being addicted to tea comes problem free...

I buy WAY too many mugs.

Mugs, tea cups, tea infusers, tumblers for iced tea, teapots that people buy for me, an insatiable need for a large french press because I have convinced myself that the one I have is too small...the list goes on and on my friends. I see a mug in the store and my first instinct is to imagine all the kinds of tea I could drink out of it. Light mugs make me happy because I can see the color of the tea after it has steeped but at the same time, dark mugs make me feel as if my tea is endless.

Each has a purpose, and each has a place in my collection. This is likely one of the worse problems to have because as a college student who doesn't have a place of her own, it can be hard to start a mug collection with no place to keep it. Does this stop me? No. I have mugs at my parents house, in the cabinets at my sorority house, mug holding M&M's, and mugs I reserve to either only use myself or to share with others. It has actually become a problem, one I am unwilling to fix.

I forget to finish my cup more often than I would like to admit.

One issue with loving tea is that there is an inherent problem to remember that you actually brewed a cup of tea in the first place. I will be very excited to try a new tea or make my favorite, and then I will get distracted (by literally anything) and completely forget that my cup of tea happened. I doomed too many brews to the depths of the cold and forgotten wasteland. Yet I know I am not alone in this. Tea drinkers are perpetually forgetful - I hope.Yet this leads to another problem:

I own copious amounts of tea to consume.

I'm okay with owning a lot of tea. Each day allows me to quench whatever tea craving I am having. Yet my collection has almost become a favorite game of my friends. People think I have a lot but then they see my tea tote. They gawk at all that I have but then quickly become quiet when I make them a cup and it is amazing. I don't buy crappy tea so when I make a cup you best expect something amazing. So they can rag on me all they would like while they continue to reap the benefits. I am always willing to share and let someone find a new favorite. Though I might need to buy a second tote for everything...

Here is an old progression of an obsession — we don't need to talk about the current state of my tea collection...

I love tea and coffee and soda alike but something about tea will always be ingrained in my life. Maybe one day I will stop buying new mugs, stop forgetting my hot cups of tea, and stop buying new tea before I finish the older stuff... who am I kidding? I will live in the never ending cycle of my tea addiction and I am not ashamed. Hit me up if you would like me to make you a cup, I will change your world.