Tapingo: Wait More. Eat Less.
food

Tapingo Absolutely SUCKS

In fact, it's the worst thing that could have happened to hungry Rowan students.

178
https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/171c87460608fb36e589c03377bf3c3f/5C3C0FD1/t51.2885-15/e35/39091604_2133052996955118_4958806039794286592_n.jpg
Photo by Carles Rabada on Unsplash

Tapingo? What's Tapingo?

Tapingo is a mobile application that offers advanced ordering options for students on select college campuses. Want to know something else about Tapingo? It is the most inefficient, time-consuming service I've ever used.

It's true. I wasn't familiar with Tapingo until just a few weeks ago when my school, Rowan University, began utilizing it in conjunction with the recently renovated Marketplace cafeteria. The old Marketplace located in the Chamberlain Student Center was an all-you-care-to-eat dining hall and, although the food wasn't necessarily gourmet, the service was quick and it ultimately got the job done.

The new Marketplace, however, is much different. It's no longer a self-serving establishment but instead has been replaced by multiple satellite eateries, including Sono, Freshens, and Smoked.

Sounds good, doesn't it?

Well, yeah. I will admit that the quality of the food has improved. If the school is going to spend months and a lot of cash on a new dining hall, I expect the food to be better. That's not what I'm mad about.

I'm mad about Tapingo.

Each restaurant located in the new Marketplace requires customers to place their order through Tapingo. In theory, Tapingo sounds like a smart idea. Students place their order in advance and are able to pick up their food at optimal times, such as after class or a gym session.

Unfortunately, Tapingo has failed to impress. My friends complain to me on a daily basis about how long they have to wait for their food. Sometimes, the wait exceeds two hours. TWO HOURS.

One of my roommates even told me earlier today that after waiting over an hour for his food, someone else took it. Efficiency? Time optimization? More like B.S.

Knowing this, I've tried to avoid eating at the Marketplace this year. Not only is it far from my dorm, but I just don't want to deal with Tapingo. I get frustrated easily, so I think I'm better off using my meal swipes elsewhere.

But today was my breaking point.

My favorite place to eat on campus is Jersey Mike's. Although the line can be a bit long at times, I generally hit up Mike's while classes are in session to avoid traffic. I was craving a mini ham and cheese sandwich this afternoon after class and, just like any other day, headed to Jersey Mike's to grab some lunch.

I was surprised to find that the line was shorter than usual, but I didn't question it. I just thought I was having a good day.

I told the lady behind the counter my order and proceeded towards check out, but she didn't comprehend. After repeating my order, she informed me that restaurants located in Profs Place, Jersey Mike's and a separate chicken place called Grill Nation, had partnered with Tapingo and would no longer be accepting in-person orders going forward.

I'm not kidding when I say that my heart sank at that moment.

Seriously? Why? I whipped out my phone to check the waiting time for Jersey Mike's.

38 minutes.

I have class again in a half hour, and I don't have time to trek across campus to eat at the Holly Pointe cafeteria. To avoid causing a scene, I exited Profs Place in an attempt to prevent myself from breaking out into a fit of rage. How could they do this? What's the point? The way they did things before was so much quicker, so why did it need to change?

I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it. I can either wait hours for a lackluster meal or go on a hunger strike. Those seem to be my only two options as of now.

It's only been a few weeks and I'm already not happy with the direction that Rowan's food services are heading in. I'll continue to express my dissatisfaction until positive change occurs, or at least until someone hears me out.

I appreciate the effort, Rowan, but I'm being honest when I say this ain't it. Tapingo ain't all that. Tapingo ain't much at all.

Looks like I'll need to stock up on more food for my apartment.