Let's Talk About "Black Panther," It Isn't Controversial

While this film is a milestone and means a lot to most audiences, I do not think that means this film is exempt from any criticism.

102
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/02/27/636552944106951281-347120288_shuri-letita-wright-in-black-panther.jpeg

Let me preface this by saying that I saw "Black Panther" the first chance I got and I loved it. Was it the best Marvel movie I’d ever seen? No. But I still found myself being hyped for the movie from the day it was announced, as were many people as evident by the success its had since being released last week. However, as with most things that get popular this film had a lot of buzz. Most of it was really good, but there was some bad too. And when it was bad, it was really, really bad. I want to clarify that I’m not talking about one specific group of people. Across the spectrum, there have been a lot of people showing hostility to each other over this film, and I want to talk about it.

But first, some background.

In case you’ve been out of the loop and need a refresher, here it is. "Black Panther" is the most recent film to be added to the incredibly big Marvel Cinematic Universe. The titular character this time around is T’Challa, the heir to the throne of the very wealthy and advanced fictional African nation of Wakanda. Following the death of his father, T'Chaka, T’Challa must now become the king of Wakanda and decide what kind of king he wants to be. The film is directed by Ryan Coogler, who has been involved in other successful projects such as Fruitville Station and Creed. "Black Panther" has a rather impressive cast as well, including Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Forest Whitaker, Angela Bassett and the lead of the film. Chadwick Boseman.

While to some, this may be just another film in the MCU, to most of the Black Community, it was a milestone. Why? Because I can count the number of superhero movies with a black character on the main roll on one hand. Not only are those movies far and few between, but even with a black superhero in the main role, there are little to no black characters surrounding them. So it shouldn’t be hard to understand why this movie means so much to some people. First the first time in almost a decade, we’re seeing a black superhero who isn’t a sidekick or a token. We’re seeing him as the main character. Not only that, but he is surrounded by other black characters who are more than just background decoration thrown in to meet a quota.

Often times, the only time a movie has a predominantly black cast is if it’s a comedy or a movie about slavery and oppression. While there’s nothing wrong with these films, it gets old when they’re almost the only representation you see of yourself in mainstream fall, if you see it at all. Maybe an action movie with Jamie Foxx or Will Smith gets thrown in here or there. But overall? The pool for movies that feature a black cast, that doesn’t have to do with oppression is very sparse.

So when "Black Panther" was announced, people got excited. Very excited. And to those who are always saying,“Oh you only like, "Black Panther" because you’re black and the cast is black.”, Congratulations. You caught us. Give yourself a pat on the back and say good job.

Yes, we like this movie because the representation is brilliant and there’s nothing wrong with that. In both the Marvel and DC universes and the Hollywood film industry in general, this film is arguably the first of its kind. Yes, there’ve been films like the Blade Trilogy, Hancock, and Spawn. I am not denying that these films were not important. But none of them have been on this scale. None of them have taken place in Africa and showed the continent as being wealthy, beautiful and rich with diverse culture. This film has more black women in lead roles than, all the other Marvel movies combined.

It should come as no surprise that people were excited to see this film. To many people, good representation matters. That doesn’t make them overly sensitive or immature, it just means that they’ like to see themselves presented a positive light. If you’re someone who doesn’t have to worry about being represented or if representation simply doesn’t matter to you, that’s fine. My issue isn’t with those who are not affected by representation, or the lack thereof, but with the people who shame those who are. Many of the people praising Black Panther are not hurting nor are they infringing on anyone, they are simply happy to see a film that is, by all means, a milestone. They don’t deserve to be attacked, and they don’t deserve to be mocked because they felt an emotional connection to a film. Is that not what films are meant to do? Not just entertain, but make connections? I think thank that the attention and praise "Black Panther" is well earned.

However, while this film is a milestone and means a lot to most audiences, I do not think that means this film is exempt from any criticism. This brings me my next point. Just as people need to stop criticizing those who like "Black Panther" for the diversity, people need to stop acting as if this film is untouchable or that it’s strictly a film for the black community.

While "Black Panther" may mean more to us, it’s meant for everyone regardless of their skin color or ethnicity. Suggesting otherwise is absurd. Good representation isn’t just good for marginalized people, but for non-marginalized people as well. When a minority group is represented in the mainstream it can have positive effects on everyone, it can serve as exposure to something different or as a learning experience. Even if you set aside everything about representation, many people, black or otherwise, may want to just see this movie because they like the character or they want to be caught up with MCU timeline. Whatever the reason may be, it is not suddenly invalid because they aren’t black. "Black Panther" shouldn’t be used to split people apart but to bring them together.

Another thing to consider is that while this film is impactful, it isn’t untouchable. No one is required to like, and not liking it or criticizing it doesn’t automatically mean someone is a racist. "Black Panther" is not exempt from critique. It is not a flawless film. The social impact is definitely powerful, but it cannot be judged by that alone. Do we really want Black Panther getting false praise from people who don’t like it because they feel they can’t express their opinion without facing hostility? Do we really want it to go down as the film that people gave a grading curve because the cast is black? That’s taking a step backwards.

It is possible to view "Black Panther" as both a film that has done what very few have done before, as well view as a film that can be critiqued objectively. There’s no reason that both cannot occur.

Overall, whether you like "Black Panther" or hate it, there’s no reason to attack those with different opinions with you.