Let's Talk About Series: Adulting

Let's Talk About Series: Adulting

Throw on old Spongebob episodes and I instantly turn into a goofy goober.
63

Welcome to the first installment of “Let’s Talk About” series. My plans for this series is to talk collectively about some of the thoughts, fears and my own inadequacies I currently have with my life. Hopefully I can help the rest of you feel better about yourselves.

If you're reading this right now this means that you probably read the title and are thinking the same things as myself. “I really don’t want to be an adult” ,“I’m graduating soon! I don’t know what it means to be an adult!” No worries my troubled soul because I too do not have the answers either. From the outside looking in, it appears that the essentials for “adulting” is as follows: House, car, mortgage, family, 401k, respectively in that order. Surprisingly, I have all of that. House. I live with my mom. Car. Thanks to my grandma. Family. My siblings are close enough. 401k. Now I’m getting too ahead of myself with the nine dollars an hour I’m currently getting. It’s been hard accepting that this is where my life is but hey no one said that it was going to be easy.

Let’s be honest we have our educational system to blame for that. Thank you school! I confidently know the majority of elements on the periodic table but still have to google search what a 401k plan was before writing this article. Other than the materialistic standpoint of “adulting”, at times I feel that my personality has not yet matured. I’m 20 years old but turn the television and throw on old Spongebob episodes and I instantly turn into a "goofy goober yeah!" I’m someone who will probably fix themselves a Kid Cuisine (cause who doesn’t like hot pudding?) before just putting a Alfredo dinner in the microwave. I make sticky notes of all the things I need to do yet I lay in bed watching Rick and Morty.

I set my alarm for 8 in the morning. I do this because I want to get started with my day ahead of time and feel productive. So when I finally get up at 11’ o'clock, I realize that I played myself.

I do try to partake in adult activities such as reading for fun which I use to do in high school but should Twilight even be considered as a serious read? I’m currently reading Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (and other concerns) by Mindy Kaling. That counts right? I apologize to all the adults out there but there is no way I’m reading the Constitution for fun. My knowledge of politics go as far as Donald Trump being president.

It gets strange when you get older. Your friends no longer want to party or have sleepovers rather they want to get coffee from Starbucks and talk about Sandra’s baby shower. Congrats, Sandra.

Adults do not even know what it means to be an adult. Let us come together and just face the facts that we are big kids now. Say it with me:

We are not adults.

We should stop trying to be.

So, go ahead and watch the next rerun of Kim Possible friend.