Tales Told By Dead Friends: A Comparison

A Comparison of Tales Told By Dead Friends 2006 and The Anniversary Edition 2016

101
Fearless Records

Back in 2006 Mayday Parade released their debut EP Tales Told By Dead Friends, and at the time no one knew that it would make such a great impact in the Pop Punk/Alternative Scene. And now 10 years into their career they decided to release a 10 Year Anniversary Edition of Tales Told By Dead Friends. The band has matured a lot since the beginning, they started out with a six-man line-up including members Derek Sanders, Jason Lancaster, Alex Garcia, Brooks Betts, Jake Brundwick and Jeremy Lenzo. In their 10 years together they released 5 albums, and now 3 EPs. Jason Lancaster also left the band soon after the release of their debut album A Lesson in Romantics.

Well enough about their story I want to talk about the differences in the Original and the Anniversary edition. I will be listening to both versions back to back of each song as I write.

Just Say You’re Not Into It, Just to start things out. I am so glad that they kept Jason’s original vocals, I found that as a great sign of respect to him. Well, the guitars in the song sound so much clearer in the Anniversary edition, and if you pay attention to the lead guitar there is actually a riff going on. . The backup vocals are more clear and coordinated. You can clearly understand what they are saying. The drums have a solid, crisp sound to them.

When I Get Home, You’re So Dead, is the third version that has been made of this song. The original has an autotune introduction, the second version has no autotune, and now there is a return of autotune in the third version. I feel as if it brings back a nostalgic feeling that is better mastered. During the breakdown, the guitar is clear. It has become such a crisp sound. Other than that, not much of a difference.

One Man Drinking Games is one of my favorite songs by Mayday Parade. The way the vocals sound on the remastered version are yet again so much clearer, adding to the emotion that Jason has, you then feel the same way with Derek’s vocals. When they both sing coordinated, it has such a nice resonating feel to it. During the bridge the guitars are clearer, being able to hear Alex and Brooks hit their notes with ease, even with Jason and Derek’s voices giving us the chills during one of my favorite lines, “because before too long, you’ll be a memory.”

Your Song is a great piece of music. But to be quite honest, in the Anniversary edition there is not much of a difference. The main sound I notice that is different are the guitars right before the chorus, they seem to be a little louder.

In Three Cheers for Five Years it is also not a huge difference. A great addition and part of the songs that makes it speak so much louder, really gives you the feels yet again and is now understandable is the bridge. “How does he feel/How does he kiss” is one of my favorite lines in this song. And with it being so much more clear really makes me more emotional than the original version.

The Last Something That Meant Anything in the anniversary edition starts of louder which is great because the guitar riff is one of the best Mayday has come out with. During Derek’s line, “Knows all these parts.” YOU CAN ACTUALLY HEAR THE WORD PARTS! I cannot tell you how many times I have listened to the original version and thought that I was only imagining it in my head. But now it has been solidified that it is part of the song. I love the fact that you can clearly understand what Jason is doing during the bridge/breakdown of the song. IT was possible to understand before but now it is perfectly clear.

The Problem With The Big Picture Is That It Is Hard To See I personally feel as if it is a good fit to the EP. But to be honest, it is an okay song. Definitely a step back to their roots, especially compared to their last album, Black Lines. The lyrics are good, the instruments all work well together, but nothing too amazing. Still a good song that I wouldn’t mind learning all the words too.