Take A Moment To Self-Reflect: It Might Be Good For You

All it takes is a few minutes of silence, a clear mind and an awareness of your own faults and a willingness to change them.

13

I've recently started the habit of self-reflection — a few minutes every day, all thoughts tuned out, just me and myself. It sounds stupid, but I like to think that these few moments have drastically improved my mental health and self-awareness.

This school year has been extremely stressful for me — being a high school senior, it's hard to balance college apps, school work, extracurriculars, a social life and numerous other issues and still manage to stay sane. I personally felt like I wasn't living in the moment and that I was simply not enjoying my last year before college. Instead, I always felt like I was dreading each day, always looking for the end, whether that be finally going to sleep after a long day or simply just waiting for my graduation in May.

At some point, I realized that this mindset was unhealthy and detrimental to my mental well-being. And I think that's when I decided to start an introspective way of life — by reflecting and looking inwards, I hoped to better myself and to bring that change to others.

I could go on about all the things I learned not only about myself but about how to perceive others, but that would take thousands of words. Instead, to sum it up in a few phrases, I learned how to expand my knowledge on skills I already possessed. Empathy, acceptance, honesty — those were just a few of the many characteristics I re-learned again. I discovered how to relate to other people, to put myself in their shoes, to have an open-mind, to find the balance between being fake and being brutally honest. I learned that sometimes, it's important to put yourself before others, that you aren't being selfish. I learned that at other times, you need to put other people's perspectives first, that it's not all about you.

Most importantly, though, I learned how to improve myself as a person. Looking at myself (only a stunning three years ago), I can definitively say that I have had a mental glow-up and that I have definitely gained valuable skills.

These small moments of self-reflection have played a huge part in my well-being in the last few months. All it takes is a few minutes of silence, a clear mind and an awareness of your own faults and a willingness to change them. And I'll leave you with this small bit of advice: take a moment to self-reflect because It might be good for you.