Take Control Of Your Sleep (Part 2)

Take Control Of Your Sleep (Part 2)

Tips to avoid dozing off in that one really boring morning class.

7
Take Control Of Your Sleep (Part 2)
Odd Stuff Magazine

Part one of "Taking Control of Your Sleep" came out last week, and here is part two. Here are some tips to get good, consistent sleep and avoid dozing off in the middle of that 7 a.m. English class, you thought was a great idea to sign up for.

Skip the Caffeine

Blasphemy, I know. But caffeine has some seriously terrible effects on the body, and too much of it can prevent you from sleeping at night. Eat an apple in the morning instead. If you really can't live without the daily dose of caffeine, try to avoid it in the later part of the day (my rule is after 6 p.m.)

Use White Noise:

For those of you that have noisy dorm-mates who just can't seem to keep it down after hours, noise-cancelling earbuds are a godsend. Put on some tropical rain sounds and doze off into blissful happiness. I personally use this iPhone app.

Stretch Before Bed:

Yoga is a great habit to pick up, but for those of us that don't have 30 minutes a day to dedicate to making our joints stronger and our bodies more flexible, check out this awesome 2-minute stretching routine that will help put all those aching muscles at the end of the day into sleep-mode.

Program Your Schedule to Get Enough Sleep:

This one almost goes without saying, but it still bears mentioning. Sometimes we lack sleep because we procrastinated until the last minute to work on that history project, or forgot to write that research paper for psychology class. It happens to the best of us. Plan your schedule to get things done during the day, and give your body (and brain!) the sleep it deserves for working so hard.

Keep it Consistent:

No matter what you do, you're never going to be well-rested during the day if your sleeping schedule is all over the place. Set an exact time to wake up and go to sleep every day, including weekends, and your body will get used to it. Eventually, you'll find yourself waking up five minutes before your alarm clock goes off, and that is one of the best feelings in the world.