To put it bluntly, our world is deteriorating and with our current administration not believing in science, it is left to the youth of our nation (as always) and those who believe in science. For the past year, I have understood the overwhelming knowledge that if the world keeps going the way it is going, in 7 years the damage we have done to this earth will be irreversible. This is a very real threat that we are faced with. Now you might be thinking I'm just 20 years old with not a lot of resources and money to help, well that's where you are mistaken! Changing little things in your lifestyle can make a big difference at the end of the day!!
All I know is whoever gets elected needs to deal with this #countdown #crisiscountdown #climateclock #ClimateAction… https://t.co/ArLhLX1mcB— Jacob Henwood (@Jacob Henwood)1604597667.0
Here are some sustainable tips from a broke college student to you...
1. Reuse your glass containers!Giphy
It's as easy as reusing the glass container that spaghetti sauce comes in!
2. Stop buying plastic plates, plastic cutlery and straws!!Giphy
Most plastic ends up is in our oceans! Which ends up hurting tons of sea creatures!! Ditch the plastic plates, plastic cutlery and plastic straws!!
3. Take public transportation when you can or ride your bike!Giphy
This one is pretty obvious but it's nice to not drive once in a while and know you are helping the cause!
4. Ditch water bottles!Giphy
Buy and use a reusable water bottle religiously!
5. Bring your own shopping bag when you go shopping!Giphy
Just keep one rolled up in your car or keep this cute thing in your purse, so you're always ready!
6. Start buying your clothes second hand and at thrift stores!Giphy
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis were trying to tell us all along!!
7. Start using natural and homeade cleaner options!Giphy
You can find this at every store and is good for the earth and tough on germs and grime!! Also is the same price as competing brands!
8. Start supporting brands that are environmentally and ethically concious!GIF by PRI Giphy
This is honestlty the hardest one for college students to follow, yes this is the tip I struggle with the most! I go into detail in my article here why fast fashion is so bad for our planet and ethically.
We cannot be expected to buy ethically and eco-friendly brands when the pricetag is far from our budget but we can do little things like not contribute to buying clothes that are ultra trendy but you will never wear more than one time! Little things like that are great stepping stones!
9. Instead of taking notes on your notebook, opt for taking virtual notes on your portable device!Giphy
Hello people!! Google docs is free!!
10. Ditch handwashing, use the dishwasher!Giphy
I was in awe when I learned that using your dishwasher for big loads was more conservative with water compared to handwashing! Win, win in my book!
11. Unplug the appliances you are not using at the moment!Giphy
Turn off the water when brushing your teeth, turn off the light when you exit the room and unplug the appliances that you're not using at the moment. Not only will the earth thank you but also you utilities bill!
12. Buy produce at your local farmers market!Giphy
Supporting local vendors and small bussinesses compared to corporate bussinesses, JACKPOT!
13. Donate the things you are not using anymore!Giphy
You can literally donate whatever you do not want or use anymore!!
I hope this tips were helpful. It is very easy for me to get overwhelmed with what we need to do to reduce our carbon footprint but we must remember that it starts in small, consistent habits!!