7 Sustainable Clothing Brands That Are Trendy And Ethical

7 Sustainable Clothing Brands That Are Just As Trendy And Stylish As They Are Ethical And Eco-Friendly

Clothes to make your closet greener

178
shopping, mask

Fast fashion is the second-largest polluter in the world. Not only is it unsustainable, but also unethical. The industry exploits workers overseas, and unfortunately, some of these workers happen to be children.

By buying from the following brands, your money will be going into the hands of brands who take great effort into making their products eco-friendly as well as in an ethical manner (fair trade).

1. Patagonia

@patagonia

Patagonia's resume of environmentalism is quite impressive. 76 percent of the electricity used by Patagonia is generated from renewable resources. 49 percent of their clothing collection is made of sustainable materials such as hemp, organic cotton, recycled cotton, recycled nylon and recycled polyester.

Their use of solar panels has averted 39.8 million pounds of carbon emissions. In addition, Patagonia donates a percentage of their profits to local environmental groups. This year alone, Patagonia granted donations to 954 environmental organizations.

2. Everlane

@everlane

Everlane boldly claims to eliminate virgin plastic from their supply chain by 2021. It's factories currently recycle 98 percent of water used to manufacture clothing. This is huge progress considering it takes 3 years worth of drinking water (2,700 Liters) to manufacture a cotton t-shirt.

Everlane's ReNew collection takes discarded plastic bottles and turns them into stylish outerwear. They are also known for their ethical factories and working conditions.

3. Reformation

@reformation

Reformation is a green business certified boutique based in Los Angeles. With over 1.4 million followers on Instagram, Reformation is a leader in the sustainable fashion industry.

It sources 100 percent electricity from wind power and utilizes LED lights, which is an energy-efficient light bulb. They also recycle and compost 75 percent of all waste produced. Reformation's green infrastructure significantly minimizes its carbon footprint.

4. LA Relaxed

@larelaxed

LA Relaxed is a stylish eco-friendly clothing brand made in Los Angeles. The clothing brand utilizes sustainable materials such as organic cotton, hemp, lyocell, modal, and linen.

Linen and lyocell conserve water, while hemp and organic cotton are grown without pesticides. LA Relaxed has avoided 61,630 miles of driving emissions, saved 2,241,695 days worth of drinking water, and conserved 20,438 days of bulb energy.

5. Pact

@wearepact

Pact is a brand selling sustainable women's, men's, and kids' clothing. A highlight of their brand is that they use 100% organic cotton, which takes up to 95% less water to manufacture than conventional cotton.

Pact is a Fair Trade Factory Certified brand; it is also sweatshop-free as well as child labor-free. The fabric is soft, clean, and green (no toxic dyes or pesticides are used)

6. Fair Indigo

@fairindigo

Fair Indigo is a fair trade, ethical, and sustainable brand. Their clothes are free of harmful toxins such as formaldehyde and pentachlorophenol. In addition, all packaging is biodegradable; waste is minimized by removing hand tags.

The fabric used is made out of pure organic cotton sourced from small family farms in Peru.

7. Synergy

@synergyclothing

Synergy is a sustainable clothing brand based in Santa Cruz, California. This fair trade company pays fair wages and ensures safe working conditions for their seamstresses in the Kathmandu Valley of Nepal.

Conservation of resources is a core value at Synergy. The company utilizes organic cotton, low impact dyes and recycled poly to make high-quality sustainable clothing.

Odyssey may earn a portion of purchases made via links on this page.