Survivor Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Episode 1 Recap

Idol Paranoia is Running Rampant

97
The Hollywood Reporter

The clocks seemed to stop at 7 pm tonight. We got the drone shot of the beach with the classic theme music that we all know and love. We then see the man himself, Jeff Probst, deliver his line, "39 Days, 18 people, 1 Survivor!" Survivor is officially back my friends and it feels so good.

The episode started with a classic Marooning. This means utter chaos. People are going everywhere, things are being thrown off the ship, and a secret advantage is found by none other than Ryan aka Cochran 2.0. After the Marooning, the tribes had to row to a beach and light their torch to win fire. The Healers finished first with the Heroes close behind. The Hustlers were left in the dust and this was not a good way to start the season for them.

We come to the Healers camp and spirits are high here. They think they could be unstoppable and they are getting a long great with each other. We hear the most from Joe on this tribe tonight. He loves the hand he is dealt because he has three pretty girls that he thinks he is going to be able to manipulate and he also loves that Cole is on his tribe. Jessica indicates that Cole is a real life Tarzan, he just doesn't want to admit it. Could their be a showmance in the air? Later on, Mike gives us a confessional about how he is going to go look for the Idol because his son told him to. This raises some red flags with Joe and he confronts Mike about it and sounds really cop like when doing so. It is clear that these two won't be working together anytime soon.

Joe is getting a little too ahead of himself. There has to be some complex in these bald guys to just act like complete maniacs right off the bat. He has the same strategy as Russell Hantz, but has the interrogation skills of Tony Vlachos. This seems like a good combination on paper, but I am just not sure that works in modern day Survivor. Plus, the girls on his tribe were some of the smarter ones of the season in my pre-game analysis. Joe is going to try to impede his will at some point and the girls aren't going to like it. Mike just has to be nicer to them and not come off too aggressive towards them and the girls will probably side with him. It depends who got back to them first though and if Mike has the social skills to interact with them.

At the Hustlers camp, Patrick is the popular guy. Everyone seems to be getting along with him and loves watching him do crazy things. He asked the whole tribe if he should eat a walking stick which honestly was pretty funny. Ali spots this out and wants to align with Patrick because he seems to have the most friendships already. Meanwhile, Ryan discovers that the advantage he won is a Super Idol that can only be played at the first tribal council after the votes are read and if his tribe doesn't go to tribal, he has to give it to someone else on another tribe. Ryan being the strategic guy he is, spots out Devon as a guy that he would like to work with because Devon seems like he wants someone to do his strategy for him. He waits for the rest of his tribe to leave and then tells Devon about the Super Idol to gain his trust.

Not too much going on here, but Patrick does seem sort of wild and I can't imagine someone like Ali is really going to like that. As far as Ryan's move, ultimately it was pretty good. It's one week and instead of being a target, the super idol is a way to gain trust. His assessment of Devon's thinking is pretty good too. It doesn't help either that Devon is pretty physically fit and he will probably go to bat for Ryan if he needs to to return the favor.

Now to where the action begins, the Heroes tribe. Right off the bat, Ashley and JP hit it off and they decide to start strategizing. They love Ben or "Cowboy" as they call him and decide they want to work with him. Meanwhile, Alan is in the distance watching this all go down and he becomes really suspicious of Ashley and JP. He decides to get into a four person alliance with the people mentioned above, but he really just wants to keep an eye on Ashely and JP. This alliance is aiming to target the Mom Squad, which is Katrina and Chrissy Later at night, Alan's paranoia is at an all time high. He confronts JP and basically tells him that he "knows" that he has an Idol. He continues to harass him and Ashley because at this point she has joined the conversation. He goes as far as telling JP to strip down completely so that he knows he doesn't have the Idol which has to be a Survivor first.

The Heroes tribe comes in last in the Immunity Challenge and Chrissy pukes at the challenge because of exhaustion. They get back to camp and the four agree that either Katrina or Chrissy are going home. However, Alan has a different agenda, He goes to the Mom Squad and says that him and Ben will go with them to vote out JP or Ashley. Ben is pretty conflicted at this point and doesn't understand what is going on. JP and Ashley are freaking out about Alan and it is just a mess. Chrissy discovers as well that Ryan gifted her the Super Idol.

At Tribal, things erupt between JP and Ashley and Alan. The phrase "power couple" is thrown around a lot and it is clear that the vote isn't a sure thing like they thought. That is until neither JP or Ashley play an idol and Alan sees this. Katrina ends up getting voted off 5-1 with Chrissy voting her out and not playing her Super Idol.

First off, Alan is pretty crazy. The game does crazy things to your mind, but I am pretty confident that we have never seen anyone actually make someone take their clothes off to show they weren't holding an Idol. Plus, a power couple could be used to your advantage early on if you play your cards right. That is two votes either against you or with you. Clearly, Alan didn't get this and painted a huge target on his back. Poor Ben too. If I were him, Alan might have been the right person to vote out tonight just because they seem pretty close, but if Alan continues to outburst, it could hurt both of their game. It is clear this tribe is voting for strength.

The last things that I want to touch on is Chrissy not playing the Super Idol. This was really a good play on Chrissy. She had no votes cast against her, so why rock the boat with the rest of her tribe to save Katrina? That would've been pretty much the kiss of death for her. Since she didn't play it, now she can sit back while Alan goes absolutely insane and makes the target on his back even bigger. All and all this was a great premiere and the season is looking pretty promising.

What trajectory do you think this season of Survivor will have?