8 Tips To Surviving Wake Forest's Senior Fifth

2335
Photo taken by Elizabeth Kennard

Friday is the last home game of the season that all the students can make, and you know what that means. It’s Senior Fifth. What is Senior Fifth?

Urban Dictionary’s Definition states:

Wake Forest Senior Fifth
A tradition at Wake Forest held at the tailgate of the last football game. Participators (the 4th years, or seniors) buy a fifth of their favorite liquor and its bottoms up until it is finished. Then, a shit show of epic proportions ensues, which includes, but is not limited to: stumbling, falling, making out, breaking tables, throwing up, spraying keg beer all over the audience, and passing out. Loud singing of everybody's favorite songs to sing when their drunk is a common occurance (e.g. "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show).
Dude, Wake Forest Senior Fifth this year was insane! Everybody was so drunk!
by seenitwithmyowneyes January 29, 2011

So accurate. We’ve been thinking about this day since we witnessed seniors partake in the event our freshmen year. In my opinion, this is one of the most ridiculous traditions on our campus. Few people (if anyone) can actually handle 17 shots of liquor, but many of us will attempt the feat anyway. Knowing this, I’ve asked several seniors how they’re going to prepare. They understand the consequences of using their names and requested anonymity, so I’ve made a compilation of their responses.

1. Carbo-load.

Eat all the pizza, pasta, bread, and cereal you can. It’s like prepping for a marathon. Eat a big meal the night before and a healthy breakfast the day of to have a base for the alcohol. You cannot drink on an empty stomach. No Bueno.

2 Hydrate.

As we all know, alcohol dehydrates your system. Try drinking a glass of water after a couple of shots, or make mixed drinks with flavored water to stay hydrated.

3 Find a buddy.

Pick one of your friends from a lower class to be your sober buddy. There are two perks to the buddy system. They will be able to tell you about all of your shenanigans, and if things take a turn for the worse they will be able to drive you to the hospital.

4. Give all important items to your buddy.

You should bring your license, school ID, cash, and phone in a small bag. Your designated buddy can keep track of your items.

5. Dress for the weather.

The game starts at 7:00 p.m. on Friday; it’ll be chilly when the sun goes down. Wear layers to fit your needs, and listen to your buddy’s suggestions. If they say you should wear a jacket do it. They will be more cognizant of the weather than you.

6. Pace yourself.

It’s a marathon, not a race. You have all day to finish your fifth. To the lucky people who don’t have class on Fridays, you have the luxury of starting early. Having class on Friday is somewhat limiting, but don’t try to catch up to people who got a head start. This is supposed to be fun, not deadly.

7. Don’t finish.

It isn’t the end of the world if you don’t finish. You don’t have to go beyond your tolerance. You really don’t want to wake up in the hospital. If finishing is a big deal to you or your friends, just lie. They probably won’t remember whether they finished their fifth let alone yours.

8. Have fun!

Senior Fifth is supposed to be a memorable day that we won’t remember. That said, have your designated buddy take hundreds of pictures and videos.