12 Ways To Be Smarter About Supporting Education

Public education matters.

65
Kelly Brown

Today teachers across North Carolina have traveled to Raleigh to March for Education!

Teachers are demanding better conditions for students, better pay, better support from legislators and many other issues that plague our schools. I’m thankful for the teachers I’ve had in my life that have shaped and form me into the person I am today.

While I’m not sure how to support our teachers on the state level I thought I would offer some ways that I think we all can support our teachers:

1. Volunteer at a local school.

Consider volunteering at the school(s) in the district you live in. Testing season is among us volunteer to be a proctor.

2. Get to know a teacher and listen to their concerns.

3. Know your local school board members and district administrators.

4. Vote for qualified school board members.

5. Push your school board members to visible in schools and get to know the children and families in the district they represent.

6. Pick-up supplies form the dollar store and drop them off in the school office.

7. Pray for those who work in education.

8. Ask questions and be informed.

9. Ask questions about funding.

10. Write letters to state and national lawmakers encouraging them to visit schools without press.

11. Ask County Commissioners what they do to support local schools. Ask them when they visited at school last.

12. Think of the many people that aren’t teachers.

Think about bus drivers, custodians, cafeteria workers, administrative assistants, buildings and grounds crews, bus mechanics, nurses, teacher’s assistants, media coordinators, guidance counselors, social workers, and many others that work tirelessly to support OUR children.

There are many champions for children across our state and nation who work hard to support our children and don’t get respect and support they deserve. Let’s engage in authentic conversations that include those who are actually working with our children.

Teachers, I’m grateful for each of you and am thankful for the hard work you do each day.