The Best Part Of Every Super Bowl

Non-sports fans and friends alike tune into the super bowl every year. It's like a tradition whether you care about football or not to watch it! Now, I am not a football fan but I do enjoy super bowl ads. So as many others on the internet have done before, I am going to list my top five Super Bowl commercials of 2020 (in no particular order).

1. Doritos

Everyone knows the "Old Town Road" song of 2019 that dominated the charts with its catchy chorus. And everyone knows the ultimate flavor of Doritos is cool ranch! So why not combine both. This definitely one of my favorite ads of the Super Bowl. It features Lil Nas X and Sam Elliott in the ultimate cowboy dance-off. Everything just works from the initial dolly zoom to the killer dance moves and sound effects. When Lil Nas's horse just starts high stepping in place I was laughing out loud. I never got tired of the Old Town Road song too, it is like the ultimate bop of 2019. Plus, Sam Elliot is always a win. On top of that, the surprise cameo at the end with Billy Ray was the icing on the cake.

2. Baby Nut

A couple of weeks ago, the Peanut company released a video showing the violent death of Mr. Peanut. The 104-year-old peanut mascot has graced everyone with his life of providing peanuts to the world. That top hat and monocle are as recognizable as the Monopoly man's. So when the Peanut Mobile drove off that cliff to avoid the armadillo, we all worried if Mr. Peanut would survive. Alas, he sacrificed himself to save his friends and was blown to pieces in a fiery death. A sad day indeed. Now we get the aftermath with the newest Super Bowl commercial. We open to the funeral of Mr. Peanut and it's like the crossover of the century. Mr. Clean, the Kool-Aid Man and the Oscar Meyer Mobile all were in attendance. And from the tears of the Kool-Aid Man, Baby Nut was born. Obviously, they're trying to capitalize on the baby mascot trend. Many will be annoyed by it but honestly just seeing all those mascots come together in the Super Bowl commercials made me want a crossover film with them all.

3. Tide (Charlie Day)

Note: All the #LaundyLater Ads are available above!

Charlie Day is a very comedic actor. I haven't seen a lot of his works but I have seen "Fist Fight" (2017) and he was hilarious in that. He is a part of one of my favorite memes where it's him scattered brained with tons of papers on a whiteboard. The main gist of the Ad was Charlie Day got a stain on his shirt and his friend told him to wait till later to wash; since they were all watching the super bowl. So Charlie Day is like "If not now, then when?!" And as the night goes on, he keeps appearing in different ads and it was one of the most creative ads I've ever seen. Because an ad for like Bud Light would come up, and I'm like: "oh great beer… how original." And then Charlie Day would show up with his basket-like - "I need to wash my clothes." And the funniest part for me was when a Wonder Woman ad for her new movie came up and I'm like: "Oh I wasn't expecting this." And then Charlie Day came out and I was like- OMG this is too good! Those series of ads were the highlight of my night. 100%!

4. McDonald's

Being here at OU, I don't have the luxury of driving up to McDonald's and chowing down on a double cheeseburger and fry. Well.. mainly because I don't have a car and it takes me 2 hours to walk to E. State Street (Don't ask). So when that McDonald's ad came up my tastebuds started to water. What I really like about the ad was just how each tray they showed was a different celebrity's favorite meal. At least it seemed like it was their actual one, I don't see why McDonalds would lie. Either way, it started getting better because they were showcasing different orders for like Marty McFly and the Hamburgurlar and then even Dracula. It brought a smile to my face, overall a wholesome ad.

5. Black Widow

It wouldn't be a Super Bowl without a Marvel ad. Black Widow comes out in May and I am really excited. If you've read my other articles before, you know that I've been wanting a Black Widow movie for years. Honestly, it wasn't the most memorable ad like Infinity War's tv Super Bowl ad but it was great to watch. The trailer seemed to focus on two things: action and the supporting characters in the film. The film stars Scarlet Johansson as Natasha/Black Widow, Florence Pugh, David Harbour, Rachel Weisz. Hopefully, Marvel and Disney don't mess this film up, I really want it to be good. I didn't like "Captain Marvel" (2019) and it really put me off with Marvel's female films. The (check notes) one and a half ones they made in the last 10 years. #Shotsfired

In the end, this year's Super Bowl was stellar. From the Halftime show to a decent ball game. It all felt… right. I don't know how to describe it. I just felt like a kid again, watching the game and seeing all these commercials. Call me sentimental but any chance I can to grab onto that feeling I'll take. Here's to next year's ads!