The 10 Most Annoying Things About Coming Home for the Summer

Moving home for the summer can be nice, but it also has its downfalls.

34

I'm sure you're glad the semester is over and you're done with classes. Summer has many great things, but there are quite a few adjustments that are needed along with moving home. Lets talk about some of the cons.

1. Packing

Packing up kind of sucks. You have to pack up everything, knowing you're just going to have to repack and move again in a few months. If you're like me and many others, you might still have your apartment for the summer. I moved home, but left a lot of stuff at my apartment. It's difficult deciding what you actually need to pack up and bring home. I have WAY too many clothes, and with Michigan's weather lately, I ended up bringing clothes for multiple seasons home. I'm sure I won't even wear some of it, but then I'm sure I also forgot some things I'll end up needing at my apartment.

2. Unpacking

And of course, the opposite of packing. I hate unpacking, and honestly I still haven't even unpacked everything yet. Oops!

3. College friends live too far!

Some of your friends from college live in other states while some live in your state, but not necessarily nearby. Unfortunately, you might not get to hang out with your out-of-state friends. Try to find time to hang out with friends in-state though, even if you have to make a little bit of a commute. I know sometimes I've had to drive almost an hour to hang out with people, but it's definitely worth it.

4. Rules at home

You might lose some of your freedom when you go home for summer. Parents still want you to live by their rules even though you're an adult. It'll take some adjusting to. Curfew who?

5. Summer classes

You may or may not be taking summer classes, and there's nothing wrong with that! I've taken summer classes and honestly I didn't hate them. It was a great way to get some credits out of the way and stay busy during the summer. However, planning around summer classes can be a little annoying. Also, you and your friends' summer class schedules may not line up. Finding free time to plan things can be a little more difficult when you have to plan around multiple class schedules for different schools even!

6. Jobs and internships

Having a job or internship during the summer is great! It builds your resume, earns you money, and can be a fun time if you have nice coworkers. However, planning around work schedules can make hanging out with friends a little more difficult. Some people work days Monday through Friday, while some people are closing on weekends. This can be annoying when you want to hang out with friends but have completely different work schedules.

7. Restaurants close too early!

There's still some places open late at home, but probably not as many. Less places are open at 3 A.M. when you might want some pizza or ice cream.

8. You can't walk to everything

Many college towns are set up so that everything is pretty close nearby. At home, you might not be able to just walk over to your friend's place or to your favorite restaurant or coffee shop. Is it embarrassing to Uber at home?

9. Different food options

Your home town probably doesn't have all the same food places that your college town does. Oh, you want Conrad's or Insomnia? Too bad your home town probably doesn't have it.

10. Everyone asking about school and your life!

Everyone, especially family, is probably asking how school was and what you plan to do with your life. Updating your friends and family is fine, but when everyone is asking, it gets repetitive repeating the same things over and over again.

Enjoy your life while you're home. It may take some adjusting to, but you'll get use to it. You'll be back at college in a few months, so make the most of your time at home!

Summer may have its cons, but remember, it does have its pros too! I'm sure we'll have fun this summer, but adjusting to living at home again can take some time.