Summer shouldn't be such a big deal

Summer is overrated and i will never understand the hype

I will take the bitter cold over the humid heat on any given day.

39
Amelia Modes

Summer is overrated.

Everyone wants to believe that summer is this wonderful break from school to relax and enjoy the nice weather, but it's really not. Most people I know spend all summer working away leaving them barely any time to hang out with friends and family. Also, as a super pale person, the summer sunshine and the thought of lounging by the beach all day doesn't sound like much fun. I have to spend a fortune on sunscreen and not even reap the benefits of a nice tan (although I do love my freckles). I would much rather cuddle under some blankets with a good book than have to squint and fight off sweat in order to understand the pages below me.

Also, the heat is absolutely miserable, especially in the humid Midwest. As soon as you want to enjoy the sunshine, your hair frizzes up and the sweat starts to gather at the nape of your neck. At least in the winter, I can layer up on clothes to stay warm. In the summer, I can only take off so many clothes until I get arrested for public indecency. And don't even get me started on the pesky mosquitoes that invade our lives in the summer.

However, I am not a total grouch, and I know that there are some benefits to summer. For example, it is nice to ride with your windows down and wear cute skirts without freezing. I just think it's overrated and that other seasons should be loved more. Can we talk about spring? Spring is a wonderful representation of a new beginning, included with flowers and the sound of rain pattering on rooftops. I feel as if everyone has these amazing expectations for summer, and they rarely ever seem to come true. I wish I could spend every day with friends, traveling and attending outdoor concerts, but that's just not the case. At least I'm surrounded with my friends every day during the school year.