You Don't Need A Typical 'Summer Body' To Have A Hot Girl Summer

Just Because I Don't Have A 'Summer Bod,' Doesn't Mean I Can't Have A Hot Girl Summer

The last time I checked, beauty doesn't stop at a size two.

895

It's time for some sunshine, summer-sized real talk here. Just because I don't have a size two or four body, doesn't mean I can't have a "hot-girl summer." Last time I checked, beauty doesn't begin or end with the clothes rack at the nearest mall.

No, I don't have what society considers "a hot body," but that doesn't mean that I can't take myself out, make myself feel pretty, and have a kickass summer. The same goes for anyone else.

It's crazy to me that society makes women over 120 pounds feel like they don't measure up or that they're not beautiful. I'm calling bull on that entire way of thinking. Last time I checked, as cliche as it sounds, beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.

No one has a right to tell me, or anyone, on the face of the earth that they are not freaking beautiful — because we all are, in our own ways.

I might not have been able to work out much in these past months, but I know that I am certainly not alone in this at all. COVID-19 has virtually shut down most of the gyms that I know of, and gyms are only now just starting to re-open. So, naturally, there's been quite a few reasons why I, and many other people, have not gotten what society considers "perfect summer bods."

Honestly, though, the entire notion of having the perfect summer body is absolutely archaic and ridiculous. People are going around making themselves absolutely miserable just to reach a certain societal aesthetic come July or August. This is absolutely bonkers to me. Health should not be a "just for the summer" goal.

Instead, healthy lifestyle changes should be made to be able to maintain whatever kind of figure you would like to keep.

But, this does not mean harming yourself just to be able to fit into that cute little bikini. Good health is more than just maintaining a decent weight and eating kale and drinking protein shakes. Good health also comes from being able to maintain a decent state of mind, and, if you're constantly worrying about whether or not that cute little bikini will fit, that's a pretty unhealthy thing.

I would love to see more women (and men, too, honestly), stand up to these ridiculous societal standards thrown onto our bodies and be proud of exactly who they are — regardless of what the numbers on the scale say.

As for me, I know that I might not have the greatest body in the world, and it's not considered a hot summer body. I honestly could not care less about that. I'm working really hard to be able to love my body exactly as it is — regardless of how much space it takes up.

I intend to have a hot girl summer, and a kickass one at that — scale be damned.