Rethink Those Aesthetic Succulents

You May Want To Rethink Your Aesthetic Succulents

Why these plants may not be right for you.

78

Succulents are in right now. All over Instagram, you can see pictures of the colorful and varied plants in all sorts of containers. They are incredibly popular for dorm rooms especially and marketed as such. Whether you want your dorm room to be #goals or you're chasing an aesthetic you like, it can seem rather tempting to just buy a few cacti or succulents and stick them in a mason jar. They are so cute and cheap after all. However, what most people do not know is these plants can be rather tricky to take care of. We all have a friend who kills every plant unlucky enough to fall into their care, even the cactus which is considered to be virtually indestructible. It isn't because they are incapable or have the opposite of a green thumb, rather, they lack an understanding of plant care.

Succulents are plants with fleshy leaves. They are made to retain water in arid conditions. Many people believe this to mean they need next to no water. Which, in a sense, is true, but it also makes them incredibly sensitive to too much or too little water. Additionally, they're commonly sold in closed containers like jars, meaning they do not have a drainage hole. This is important because if the water cannot drain out, it sits in the container with the plant and rots the roots. The plant is then unable to sustain itself and will die. It is very hard to revive a plant once the rot has set in.

A succulent in a teacup looks amazing but is just not practical. Often, the pictures that blow up on Instagram show plants that will not survive very long. Another thing people fail to take into consideration is sunlight. Too little sun and these fickle little plants lose their leaves, too much and they get sunburn. If you happen to live in a dorm, it is best to consider which way your windows face before investing in these plants. As well as consider how much effort you are willing and able to put into it. Knowing which species of succulent is helpful because a quick google search can tell you how much water and sun they require.

Succulents are not for everyone, but I don't mean to make it sound like these plants are impossible to take care of. With a little research and upkeep, it is possible to select a plant that will fit your room. Watching a plant thrive and grow in the right conditions can be rewarding. Watching a plant wither away is disappointing at best and upsetting at worst. Healthy plants make for better pictures. There are many other indoor plants available that do not require such careful care. Many department and home improvement stores will actually have the care requirements on the plant. You just have to check the tag before you buy. At the end of the day, if you want a decoration I would recommend fake succulents. They are much more low maintenance.