Successful Relationships and what They Look Like

Confused? We all are, thankfully God has given us a lot of good advice

24
Spring Life Counseling

Relationships in this day in age become really confusing, most times we have to question if we’re making the right decisions or compare our relationships to the ones around us or the ones we see on TV. It’s a difficult decision, to know if the person you’re with is going to be your best friend forever. Thankfully we aren’t in relationships alone, a lot of people forget that we have instructions on how to have a great relationship. We have the Bible to tell us what successful relationships look like and benefit us in the best way, or how to get out of the bad ones.

Equal Respect from either side

We often forget how different men and women are as we try to make ourselves equal. Gender roles are important, and men and women are built so different. Men feel love the best way when they are respected. Of course this varies with each individual, but the best way to show your affection to a man is to give him respect. Women on the other hand, have been built to be nurturers. Again, each individual is different, but women feel loved the best way when they are given affection or shown that they are important. By equal respect I mean men should show respect like a women is a special gift to them, and women should show respect like a man is their leader.

Holding true to what is important to you

Relationships are sacrifice. When you’re married you always have to keep the other person in mind. Decisions aren’t yours to make anymore, but that’s only when you’re married. We confuse our boyfriends and girlfriends with our husbands and wives. Don’t sacrifice something life changing about yourself for someone who isn’t your spouse. God has a plan for us all, if your relationship is not meant to fulfill God’s plan for you, he will show you a way out and through the Bible, which gives incredible advice.

Date to marry

Scary thought, I know. It can be weird to think that the person you’re with right now could possibly be your significant other someday, or you haven’t even met them yet. We treat our boyfriends and girlfriends like our husbands and wives already, a lot of the time that can become confusing because it’s all of the effort, without the commitment that holds us accountable.

Never stop evolving

There’s never a happily ever after… Ever. Marriage is tough work, my friends. This doesn’t mean that marriage won’t be very fulfilling and a great experience, but it’ll change you. Every relationship does, even friendships and family members hold an influence on you. This means you are always working to better yourself; never stop evolving or learning. Couples that have been married for a long time will often look back and notice how different they were from when they first met. This is sometimes looked at as scary, but how awesome is it that one day we will learn how to master one of the most difficult things to do? We will be so knowledgeable and can help the next generation to not make the same mistakes we made.