How to Have A Successful High School Relationship

These pointers will help you maintain a meaningful, long-lasting relationship as a teen.

1383
Pexels.com

What does it take to maintain a long-lasting, meaningful relationship in high school? Well, it takes two people who are totally honest, 100 percent loyal, forgiving, supportive, and NOT clingy. Apart from that it takes some "sacrifice" and a whole lot of compromise. Some people don't get it and that's cool, but if you want to have a happy teenage relationship that lasts longer than a month, here's how to do it.

First, you have to let go of the past. You can't get mad at your boyfriend because he said hi to his ex in the hallway. That doesn't mean he still loves her or he's trying to get her back... he just said hi. Getting upset over who your significant other was involved with might be the most pointless thing in this world. It already happened, he's obviously moved on, and you should move on too.

Second, give each other space! Let him have his guy time and give yourself some girl time. Don't text him 24/7 needing to know his every move. Get used to spending quality time away, so your quality time together is extra special. If you don't trust him enough to go to a party without you, you shouldn't be dating him. Although this may be true, it's equally important to share common friends and be social with your significant other. Go on a triple date or hike with a group of friends. It's important for others to feel comfortable when they're around you and your partner, so go out, be social, and whatever you do don't be that couple standing in the corner pretending no one else is in the room. Reality check, other people ARE in the room and now they wish you two weren't there.

Third, find someone who has common interests, morals, and goals. This is especially hard in high school because the pool is small and some people don't want to explore past the shallow end, but if you're willing to get to know new people, you might come across one who is amazingly similar to you. Sharing interests is great because deciding what to do is automatically 2000 times easier. Also, having common goals like getting good grades and being accepted into college just helps a couple get along. Sharing similar morals is probably the most important thing for young people. If your boyfriend wants to wait and you do too, it makes everything better. If he wants to wait and you don't at all, you'll just have to respect that decision and enjoy the cuddles, kisses, and food. You and your partner may have nothing in common and completely different goals; you can either move on with your life or be supportive of him and hope for the same in return.

Lastly, you have to be willing to make compromises and say you're sorry. As a teenager, you never want to be wrong, and you expect everything to go your way -- but the thing about relationships is it's not all about you. If one person wants to go out and the other wants to stay in, it shouldn't start another civil war. Talk about the factors and make a decision together. This sounds like something a therapist from a movie would say, but it's very true. If you're wrong about something, bite your tongue and accept it. If you did a sketchy thing, sit back, let your girlfriend take all her anger out, apologize, tell her how much you love her, and never do whatever you did again.

If you're not 100 percent happy, let the relationship go. The only obligation you have is to yourself, so if your partner isn't loyal or honest with you then it isn't meant to be and you should fight the urge to stay. In high school, you're going to see all the other guys and all the other things you could be doing if only you weren't "taken." Some people call it a sacrifice, but if you're happy and in love, then it isn't much of a sacrifice, is it?

To sum it all up, you and your partner should be trustworthy, caring, supportive, social, and unselfish. If you love to eat pizza and watch movies in pajamas, find someone who'll do that with you! Find someone who'll respect you, joke around with you, and let you live your own life too. Do all those things and you're twenty-one-monthiversary will be just around the corner!